Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Goose Island beer  (Read 8419 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Goose Island beer
« on: May 12, 2013, 03:56:13 pm »
I'd only heard of the far off brewery Goose Island and never in my life thought it would ever be on the shelves here but lo and behold... ;D

I've had a 750 of "Sofie" farmhouse ale and am sipping on some "Summertime" which is a Kolsch evidently.

So far all have been excellent. Could it be that the recent appearance has anything to do with InBev?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline cheshirecat

• Assistant Brewer
Goose Island beer
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 04:24:55 pm »
A couple months ago I ran into a guy that worked in Goose Island's yeast/quality lab. According to him In Bev only brews their IPA and couplen other of their "main stream" beers. That helped open up fermenter space to make more of their other beers. So in a way yes. He also told me part of the agreement is Goose Island still has final say on ingredients and recipe changes. They also do quality control on what In Bev brews.

Over the last two years I have certainly seen their beers more often in the Bay Area.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Goose Island beer
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 05:34:07 pm »
A couple months ago I ran into a guy that worked in Goose Island's yeast/quality lab. According to him In Bev only brews their IPA and couplen other of their "main stream" beers. That helped open up fermenter space to make more of their other beers. So in a way yes. He also told me part of the agreement is Goose Island still has final say on ingredients and recipe changes. They also do quality control on what In Bev brews.

Over the last two years I have certainly seen their beers more often in the Bay Area.
I hope the suits keep their paws out of Bourbon County Stout.  Love that one.  I'm sure over time it won't be cost effective.
Jon H.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Goose Island beer
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 06:37:30 pm »
It has everything to do with InBev and yes, they still maintain control so the beer is still Goose.

Distribution is expected to ramp up nationally and I believe they now have one of the largest barrel aging programs in the country as well as a brand new facility that strictly handles wild yeast to the tune of about a million $'s
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 09:34:40 pm »
I've spent too much time the past few years sitting in the Goose Island pub in O'Hare Airport, but I loved their beer, especially the Matilda on tap.  But we can now get 312 Wheat(one of my favorites at the airport) and Honker at a restaurant in Carlsbad.  Both are insipid, tasteless shells of what I enjoyed too much of at the airport.  I don't know if it's a freshness issue or an InBev issue but the beer I get here truly and royally sucks.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 05:16:55 am »
I've spent too much time the past few years sitting in the Goose Island pub in O'Hare Airport, but I loved their beer, especially the Matilda on tap.  But we can now get 312 Wheat(one of my favorites at the airport) and Honker at a restaurant in Carlsbad.  Both are insipid, tasteless shells of what I enjoyed too much of at the airport.  I don't know if it's a freshness issue or an InBev issue but the beer I get here truly and royally sucks.

I got a six-pack of Honkers last week that I thought was very good.  It seemed fresh to me.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 06:25:51 am »
I often find old Honkers sitting around shelves.  Got fooled by a date not long ago, not noticing the 13 was actually a 12.   :o  When fresh, it is still fantastic.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 07:19:18 am »
I've always been a Goose Island fan, drank a lot of of the 312 back in my formative beer years. I remember I went to a Cubs game a few years ago and afterwards my friend and I stopped at a bar a couple blocks away from Wrigley and got a Honker's. It was the freshest pint of Honker's I'd ever had, it rocked.  I miss the oatmeal stout, but they stopped bottling that a few years ago, it was one of my favorite commercial versions. I'm kind of surprised Sam Adam's doesn't have an oatmeal stout, now that I think about it.
Jesse

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 07:55:23 am »
I picked up a 750s of Matilda and Sofie here in Southern Ontario on the weekend.  Clearly there has been a recent push to really expand distribution if I'm finding it here in Canada now.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 08:07:18 am »
Love their Pere Jacques and drank a 750 while brewing yesterday.  Of course, I added 1.5 lbs of sugar to the wrong kettle...

I've been drinking their beer pretty much since they opened.  Their growlers are a great deal and they give the AHA discount without question.  The brew pub always has a variety of stuff they don't bottle.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 08:19:45 am »
I haven't seen a 750 of Sophie here in years. It's all four packs now which I prefer anyways. It's funny that production has seemed to ramp up for them but I can't find sophie hardly anywhere. It's my wife's favorite beer and I buy it whenever I see it. I hear bourbon county will go year round now too.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 08:37:17 am »
We've started getting Goose Island in the past few months. I like a lot of the beers and they aren't showing up in poor quality. We're not getting BCS or either Pepe beers but I'm hopeful it will show eventually.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 08:39:27 am »
I haven't seen a 750 of Sophie here in years. It's all four packs now which I prefer anyways. It's funny that production has seemed to ramp up for them but I can't find sophie hardly anywhere. It's my wife's favorite beer and I buy it whenever I see it. I hear bourbon county will go year round now too.
I found Bourbon County in liquor stores in Indy this year that only have a decent craft beer selection normally, so production must obviously be up on it too.  A good thing.
Jon H.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 08:47:26 am »
ABInbev has the best brewers and equipment in the world. They can make anything they want, they've just only wanted to make light lagers in the past. IIRC they have the largest barrel aging program in the country now. It's pretty awesome that craft beer is coming to restaurants and bars where you wouldn't see anything fancier than Corona.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 08:50:40 am »
We've started getting Goose Island in the past few months. I like a lot of the beers and they aren't showing up in poor quality. We're not getting BCS or either Pepe beers but I'm hopeful it will show eventually.

Pepe Nero has to be the nastiest beer I ever tasted.  Or close to it.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton