Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Newbie Here  (Read 13166 times)

Offline shane70

• 1st Kit
Re: Newbie Here
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2013, 06:46:04 pm »
so keep my temp in the upper 60's?  ???

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 05:31:20 am »
Look at the packet of yeast, what type is it?
Does it say to pitch and or ferment at a certain temp?
Dan S. from NJ

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 06:45:31 am »
If you want to use the dorm fridge to control your temps most folks use something like this: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/johnson-controls-a419-digital-temp-controller.html

I have the Ranco 111000 (digital) and may use temp controllers for Johnson Controls (often analogue).

They are snap to use if you buy them prewired.  If you are handy with a screw driver and not scarred off by electricity, they are cheaper as controller only and you wire them in yourself.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 06:50:29 am »
If you end up needing to ferment mostly ales (~mid 60's) and are having trouble with either the cost or size of a refrigerator or mini cooler that will fit your carboy or bucket, I highly recommend the below Igloo cooler for fermentation. I was able to keep my wheat ale right at 65 for 2 weeks with very minimal tweaking (adding ice cubes periodically). Good luck!
http://www.igloo-store.com/detail/IGL+ICECUBE+70+MCROL

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 07:49:04 am »
If you end up needing to ferment mostly ales (~mid 60's) and are having trouble with either the cost or size of a refrigerator or mini cooler that will fit your carboy or bucket, I highly recommend the below Igloo cooler for fermentation. I was able to keep my wheat ale right at 65 for 2 weeks with very minimal tweaking (adding ice cubes periodically). Good luck!
http://www.igloo-store.com/detail/IGL+ICECUBE+70+MCROL

+1

I used three of these early on.  Frozen liter bottles and a floating thermometer worked well.  You can buy these at Walmart or Sam's for $30.00
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 09:47:25 am by dbeechum »
AHA Member 900001775

Offline shane70

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2013, 09:52:17 am »
Look at the packet of yeast, what type is it?
Does it say to pitch and or ferment at a certain temp?

This is my Yeast. Looks like for lager. As for temp, it shows 12-15C ????? What is that in Fahrenheit. Also it says for 20 liters of beer. Is that 5 gallons?

FYI- It also comes with Briess dried malt extract ( 2 lbs), Crushed Pilsen malt, Crushed Carapils Malt, Priming Sugar, 3 bags of .5 oz hop pellets, grain bag and Pilsen Light Pure Malt extract (concentrated Brewers Wort).

Offline shane70

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2013, 09:55:59 am »
If you want to use the dorm fridge to control your temps most folks use something like this: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/johnson-controls-a419-digital-temp-controller.html

I have the Ranco 111000 (digital) and may use temp controllers for Johnson Controls (often analogue).

They are snap to use if you buy them prewired.  If you are handy with a screw driver and not scarred off by electricity, they are cheaper as controller only and you wire them in yourself.

Paul

Thanks. I do like this Idea. If I can get the bucket and also the carboy in my fridge, I will use this... Otherwise I may have to go with the cooler idea

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2013, 09:56:08 am »
~54-59F
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2013, 09:57:25 am »

What Drew said....54-59F.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline shane70

• 1st Kit
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2013, 01:51:43 pm »
and from what I've seen, home brew is mostly dark beer.

Welcome to your new obsession.

Yeah, No kidding... I haven't even started brewing just yet, (Still waiting on getting everything I need before I start). With all the help and good advise Im getting from everyone in here, Me and my wife (yeah, she's letting me do this) is wanting to try different flavors, and even thinking about making a Party cooler, to put my beer in for my first home brew party....lol