General Category > Homebrew Clubs

Problem with club growth in VA

<< < (2/3) > >>

tygo:
My club is in the Northern VA area and we meet in a room at a local bar.  There's no problem bringing and tasting homebrew as long as we limit each pour to 2 oz.  We've visited other local bars for the occasional meeting and have been able to pour at those places as well. 

jydhokie:

--- Quote from: tygo on May 14, 2013, 06:33:30 AM ---My club is in the Northern VA area and we meet in a room at a local bar.  There's no problem bringing and tasting homebrew as long as we limit each pour to 2 oz.  We've visited other local bars for the occasional meeting and have been able to pour at those places as well.

--- End quote ---

I wish someone would talk to our ABC representation down here.  That is the way I interpreted the law as well, but in conversations with people who have talked to him, he will not allow sampling of homebrew in a local bar even if the samples are kept to two ounces.

Jimmy K:
It sure seems like the ABC rep is wrong from the highlighted quote below.  Maybe try contacting someone else for clarification - someone above him at ABC or one of your state legislators.

--- Quote ---s 4.1-200 Exemptions from licensure.

The licensure requirements of this chapter shall not apply to:

6. Any person who manufactures at his residence or at a gourmet brewing shop for domestic consumption at his residence, but not to be sold, dispensed or given away, except as hereinafter provided, wine or beer or both, in an amount not to exceed the limits permitted by federal law.

Any person who manufactures beer in accordance with this subdivision may remove from his residence an amount not to exceed fifteen gallons of such beer on any one occasion for (i) personal or family use, provided such use does not violate the provisions of this title or Board regulations; (ii) giving to any person to whom beer may be lawfully sold an amount not to exceed seventy-two ounces per person per year, provided such gift is for noncommercial purposes; or (iii) giving to any person to whom beer may lawfully be sold a sample of such beer, not to exceed two ounces by volume for on-premises consumption at events organized for judging or exhibiting such beer, including events held on the premises of a retail licensee. Nothing in this paragraph shall be construed to authorize the sale of such beer.

--- End quote ---

morticaixavier:
As I understand it from recent experience here in California the ABC rep is never wrong. They may not be interpreting the rules the way you or I or a competent lawyer might but as the ABC rep their interpretation is correct.

Jimmy K:
Perhaps contact him directly then. Tell him you want to organize an event that is legal under that part of the law and ask what is required. At least it will make him think about it.  Maybe you just need to make each meeting a "competition". Each person brings beer to sample, everyone votes, and the winner each month gets a certificate.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version