Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 3 hour dry hop?  (Read 3732 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
3 hour dry hop?
« on: May 17, 2013, 11:49:23 am »
I was reading in the Hops book about dry hop extraction times, and how certain compounds are extracted very quickly, but then dissipate, while other take longer to develop. Has any tried to do a very short (3-6 hours) dry hopping? How'd it turn out?
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: 3 hour dry hop?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 12:39:56 pm »
I've been thinking about trying out a short dry hop in the bottling bucket, but I think you need some steady circulation to max out your extraction in such a short time frame and I don't really have the means to do that. I have an ESB on deck, and I was on the fence on whether I wanted to dry hop. Maybe I'll try this out instead.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 01:26:55 pm »
I've got an accidental Berliner Weisse I think I'll try it on. I've never gone less than 2 days dry hopping before.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 01:49:27 pm »
I've been thinking about trying out a short dry hop in the bottling bucket, but I think you need some steady circulation to max out your extraction in such a short time frame and I don't really have the means to do that. I have an ESB on deck, and I was on the fence on whether I wanted to dry hop. Maybe I'll try this out instead.
+1.  I agree - there has to be some steady circulation to pull that off.  I've dry hopped alot of beers and usually feel I needed more dry hops or dry time. Hops are all about preference though.
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 02:05:36 pm »
I have kegged hopped in concert with speed carbing. So I added the hops in a hop bag to the keg, wracked the beer on top, put it under pressure and shook the bee-jee-zus out of it for 10 minutes or so. Other than the cloudy yeast mess on the first couple pours it was perfect. I don't think the hop presence was ever any better than in the first day or two.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
3 hour dry hop?
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 05:04:20 pm »
Oregon State did or is doing studies in dry hopping and they have found that shorter dry hop times are equally, if not more effective but all their research has involved constant circulation of the beer while the dry hop additions are added. IMO if you don't have the ability to circulate constantly then it's either more hops or a longer time or both. BTW the studies are on line and can be searched, sorry , don't have the link handy...
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 06:10:16 pm »
I accidentally stumbled upon the opposite test.  Just found a hidden carboy of a pale ale that was dry hopped in October.  Don't even know if it'd be worth bottling now or if it would just taste like a bag of lawn clippings.
Joe

narvin

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 10:56:15 pm »
I tried a 3 minute dry hop in some Miller Lite once.  Tasted like Miller Lite with floaties.

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 11:12:35 pm »
I dry hopped a Barleywine for 3 months once because I didn't know any better. It won medals. Now I dry hop my barleywines for at least 1 month of staggered additions.  I like the resinous outcome. Seems to help fake the aging a bit. The end result always scores in the 40s.