Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Extract kit question  (Read 2997 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Extract kit question
« on: May 15, 2013, 09:29:38 am »
I've recently received an extract kit with a bag of grains included. Is this considered a partial extract? If its full extract, what's the point of the grain bag if it can be accomplished through additional amounts of liquid extract?

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Extract kit question
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 09:33:34 am »
What you have is probably what's referred to as "extract and specialty grains".  You'll have to tell us what grain it is and how much, but it's likely something like crystal malt that you steep before adding the extract.  If that's the case, then the grain won't need conversion so it's not a partial mash.  If the grain has diastatic power and needs to be mashed, not steeped, then it's a partial mash.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 09:47:06 am »
Denny's on fire!

Also, The reason for specialty grains is that you have more control over the flavor of the beer. Extract has grains that you might not want for that particular type, and once they are extract, you can't get them out.

When I did extract brews, I only used the pilsen light extract, and added whatever specialty grains I needed in order to make the flavor I wanted. Most of the malts which add color are specialty grains, and don't need to be mashed.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 09:48:22 am »
Denny's on fire!

Coffee kicked in!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell