Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Goose Island beer  (Read 8408 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Goose Island beer
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 08:52:20 am »
We've started getting Goose Island in the past few months. I like a lot of the beers and they aren't showing up in poor quality. We're not getting BCS or either Pepe beers but I'm hopeful it will show eventually.

Pepe Nero has to be the nastiest beer I ever tasted.  Or close to it.

I don't know, I liked it. I have another bottle in the closet for some time later as well. see how it changes over time.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 08:56:21 am »
The nastiest beer I've had is a tie between Leiny's fruity pebbles wheat, and Magic Hat's "Not quite pale ale." I think Magic Hat slightly edges it out, just because what I got was so far from my expectations. I expected something similar to a pale ale. Boy, was that disappointing.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 09:02:58 am »
We've started getting Goose Island in the past few months. I like a lot of the beers and they aren't showing up in poor quality. We're not getting BCS or either Pepe beers but I'm hopeful it will show eventually.

Pepe Nero has to be the nastiest beer I ever tasted.  Or close to it.

I don't know, I liked it. I have another bottle in the closet for some time later as well. see how it changes over time.

Fair enough.  You can have my share.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 04:38:36 pm »
I'm drinking a Pepe Nero 750 right now while the grill warms up. What a f'ing awesome beer.

Also have a bottle of Pere Jaques. All this beer tastes fresh, well handled and of the utmost quality. I am so glad it is available!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 04:59:20 pm »
I'm in their Wrigleyville pub having a Dublin stout.

You can keep the Nero. Nasty stuff.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 06:29:17 pm »

Well now I wanna try it.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2013, 06:59:44 am »

Jealous! I love that pub. The one time I was in there was just packed, as it was after a Cubs game. But I found one spot at the bar, which was cool. Only stayed for one beer since I didn't have much time.  Would love to throw down a few there sometime.
Jesse

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2013, 07:58:39 am »

Jealous! I love that pub. The one time I was in there was just packed, as it was after a Cubs game. But I found one spot at the bar, which was cool. Only stayed for one beer since I didn't have much time.  Would love to throw down a few there sometime.

They used to have the Real Ale Festival there back in the day, which was a great reason to visit Chicago for a weekend.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2013, 10:00:36 am »
This is a little off-topic, but a couple of former brewers for Goose Island are starting their own 40-bbl brewery in Geneva, IL, shortly.  http://www.penrosebrewing.com/

I've heard that they are bringing a few other Goose Island employees with them. 
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2013, 10:06:36 am »
This is a little off-topic, but a couple of former brewers for Goose Island are starting their own 40-bbl brewery in Geneva, IL, shortly.  http://www.penrosebrewing.com/

I think there's been a bit of a diaspora since the ownership change, though I think to some degree there were always people leaking out to other local breweries.  This is good for the local craft beer scene. I'm not sure if the rate has increased, but I bet it has.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2013, 10:09:58 am »

I think there's been a bit of a diaspora since the ownership change, though I think to some degree there were always people leaking out to other local breweries.  This is good for the local craft beer scene. I'm not sure if the rate has increased, but I bet it has.
Diaspora...good word! Hope Penrose's beer comes to Iowa.
Jesse

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2013, 06:14:39 pm »

There's a bunch of former GI brewers in this video celebrating 25 years (It's  too long and doesn't mention InBev, but oh well.)
http://beerpulse.com/2013/05/goose-island-beer-company-celebrates-25-years-video/

The brewpub still does some great stuff. And I too wish they'd bring back the oatmeal stout.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2013, 05:56:38 pm »

I think you're right about GI employees fanning out to other breweries.  Besides Tom and Eric who are starting Penrose, I met a former GI sales rep who now works for Summit last month who said that GI lost approximately 40% of its workforce (voluntarily migration) after AB In-Bev took over.

I have no opinion on GI beer since the AB In-Bev purchase because I really haven't had too much GI beer, even before the buyout.  But I can tell you that when I met Tom and Eric at this year's Craft Brewer's Conference, they were super cool guys and I am genuinely excited about their brewery.  I have relatives in Geneva and I'll be making a trip there once Penrose opens its doors.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial