Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NTSB Recommends 0.05% BAC Limit  (Read 15755 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: NTSB Recommends 0.05% BAC Limit
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2013, 09:58:21 am »
I'm all for zero tolerance with randomly located check points, and immediate execution of all violators.

Political flame of the day. Throwing myself on the grenade so Denny won't feel bad giving this thread gone wild the axe
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 10:09:47 am by klickitat jim »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
NTSB Recommends 0.05% BAC Limit
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2013, 12:11:23 pm »
Good save. I honestly think this is a good topic to discuss sans politics. I'm all for the google cars thing. Then there's no worries regardless. Let the computer drive. ;)

Now that digs up an entirely new can of worms....

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2013, 12:18:09 pm »
A good old fashioned society reboot would help. Maybe a year with no electronic technology would save us. Or go go Google everything

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2013, 12:26:38 pm »
When my Dad was a kid in a small rural community one guy would drive his wagon in on Saturday night.  This wagon was pulled by a horse.  He would give the horse some hay and oats, make sure it had water and then go to one of the bars.  At the end of the night the farmers friends would dump him in the wagon and untie the horse.  The horse would go home on it's own and the guy's wife would wake him up and he would unhook the horse put it back in the barn.  The next morning they would drive the car into town for Mass.

It would be really funny to know if his horse was named Goggle.  And if the Patent Office would consider that prior art?  ;D

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2013, 01:04:31 pm »
Does anyone here even have a legitimate breathalyzer?

I bought one a few years ago to keep myself safe and legal and I was absolutely surprised at where 0.08 was. Sometimes it's two beers, usually three session beers and it's even been one IIPA on an empty stomach. Point is, when you're drinking you usually underestimate your true level.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2013, 04:06:25 pm »

I bought one a few years ago to keep myself safe and legal and I was absolutely surprised at where 0.08 was. Sometimes it's two beers, usually three session beers and it's even been one IIPA on an empty stomach. Point is, when you're drinking you usually underestimate your true level.
I saw an add on sensor on smart phone. Not sure how well it worked.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2013, 06:00:24 pm »

I bought one awhile back specifically for brew club meetings.  It's pretty much the only time when I drink anything and drive.  I try to limit myself to the equivalent of about 3 beers in two hours and that puts me well under the 0.08 limit, but although I'm usually below 0.05 I'd be pretty wary about it if that was the limit.

It is surprising how quickly the BAC racks up.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 06:03:55 pm by tygo »
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2013, 09:35:51 am »
This leads me to another aspect of this whole conversation. I've always believed that driving tests in the US are way too easy. Knowing how to parallel park and make a K-Turn is a joke in the grand scheme of driving. I think everyone should be subjected to a few different courses, maybe even over a few days.

I was really lucky that my dad and grandfather both took the time to teach me the skills i really needed for driving on the road. They would take me to this bus depot parking lot when it was raining and make me spin the car on purpose to get a grasp of what it was like to lose control of the vehicle, how to avoid it and how to recover from it. They also did this with 2 different cars in both the rain and the snow and I have to tell you, the first time you do it its scary as hell but after 4 or 5 times it becomes natural to just turn into the skid and recover from it. And when that skid happens in the real world, and it will, you won't panic, you'll just react.

Just think about what you learned in your driving class and what its really like on the road. Its a huge difference and unfortunately it takes time to build up the experience needed to actually be a good competent driver.

Can you imagine if we let people fly planes with the same amount of training?

I worked as a letter carrier for awhile and the best part of the training was the driving instruction. We spent time in class and on the road with instructors. It was pretty eye-opening after having been licensed for 15+ years.

Of course I still took the door off a postal vehicle one day because of the ridiculous built-in blindspot on the Grumman LLV :-[ A utility pole can completely disappear behind the side view mirrors.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2013, 10:03:47 am »
The NTSB can recommend away but each state would have to change their own laws. In the end, if the per se amount was .05 it would really only apply in blood draw scenarios like vehicle assault or hom.  It is not always easy to detect below .08 on the street. Plus the SFST battery is designed for .08 so until the science is there it wouldn't change much.
If you are a light weight and can't walk at <.08 you'll go to jail anyway.. 08 is just the per se limit. You can still be guilty at <.08 right now if you are impaired

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2013, 10:48:10 am »
The NTSB can recommend away but each state would have to change their own laws.

yes but if the federal government puts their weight behind this, then the states will follow suit. Michigan just approved to extend the 0.08 limit this year. It was set to lapse this fall and revert back to the 0.10 law it used to be. If the state would have let it lapse, they would lose millions of dollars in federal funding. Money talks.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2013, 11:02:53 am »
you can't legislate safety.... its all about control/money.

'If the self-driving car isn't safe enough, set it up like a drone where someone somewhere else could take control if needed or the whole time if required.'

That is a seriously scary response/suggestion... There are already WAY to many 'things' controling us... we don't need any more!
Phoenix, AZ

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2013, 11:28:13 am »

'If the self-driving car isn't safe enough, set it up like a drone where someone somewhere else could take control if needed or the whole time if required.'

That is a seriously scary response/suggestion... There are already WAY to many 'things' controling us... we don't need any more!
It would be voluntary - you could switch it off.  If you don't like the service, don't use it.

And btw, it's not controlling you, it's controlling the car.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2013, 12:05:04 pm »

of course you can legislate safety. you can't force everyone to listen. It is a legal requirement that all cars have seatbelts. seatbelts save lives.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2013, 02:08:37 pm »
Its nice to see my comrads are so obedient to the state! :-)
Phoenix, AZ

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2013, 03:41:50 pm »
Cars on roads are the one thing I don't gripe too much about regs. Its an earned privilege to drive on public roads, not a right. So "They" can regulate away on that.

But for most other aspects of life I am a bit more nihilistic.