Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Amarillo IPA  (Read 7804 times)

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
Re: Amarillo IPA
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 01:49:55 pm »
Not an IPA (could be) IBU's High (ok over a little) for an APA and on the low end for an IPA, but the amarillo flavor and aroma are awesome.

http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/AmarilloPaleAle.htm
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 08:09:57 am »
I'll second Denny's recommendation to move the 15 minute addition to FWH. If it were me I'd also drop the 30-minute addition altogether and do a hot whirlpool/hop stand. I find that I get the most hop presence from extended contact with hot/sub-boiling wort (FWH and whirlpool, basically), so as time goes on I keep moving more additions to before and after the boil. It may just be in my head, but I also find that hop character fades more slowly in beers with FWH and hop stand additions.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 10:04:45 am »
I'll just throw this in, in a recent issue of Zymurgy they have a recipe for testing single hops and the author makes a point to say that Amarillo was not good for the 60 minute addition.
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 10:45:28 am »
I'll just throw this in, in a recent issue of Zymurgy they have a recipe for testing single hops and the author makes a point to say that Amarillo was not good for the 60 minute addition.

That was a statement of opinion. granted from Vinnie at Russian river but still. Try it. Maybe YOU would like it as a 60 minute addition. I find Columbus to be really oniony but others love it.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 11:38:58 am »

That was a statement of opinion. granted from Vinnie at Russian river but still. Try it. Maybe YOU would like it as a 60 minute addition. I find Columbus to be really oniony but others love it.

The other opinion he stated was that while a single hop beer was great for experimenting, it didn't make a good recipe.  I realize that it's subjective, but I agree with him 100%.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 12:18:34 pm »

The other opinion he stated was that while a single hop beer was great for experimenting, it didn't make a good recipe.  I realize that it's subjective, but I agree with him 100%.

These are all opinions, isn't that what the op asked for? Haven't seen the latest Zymurgy best beers but the runner up for 3 straight(IIRC) is a single hop beer. So it seems lots of folks think very highly of a single hop beer as a good recipe. I can't believe it but I have to disagree with Denny and Vinnie, I have really enjoyed some single hop beers.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 12:31:14 pm »

These are all opinions, isn't that what the op asked for? Haven't seen the latest Zymurgy best beers but the runner up for 3 straight(IIRC) is a single hop beer. So it seems lots of folks think very highly of a single hop beer as a good recipe. I can't believe it but I have to disagree with Denny and Vinnie, I have really enjoyed some single hop beers.

+1.  I enjoy single hop beers just as much as multiple hopped beers.  Just finished my all-Simcoe IPA which was delicious.
Dave Zach

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 01:50:59 pm »
Vinnie has 2 single hop beers on tap right now.
http://russianriverbrewing.com/

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 02:23:01 pm »
I can't believe it but I have to disagree with Denny and Vinnie, I have really enjoyed some single hop beers.

Tastes are subjective.  There's no reason we should necessarily like the same beers.  When I was at Beer Camp, Sierra Nevada had a variety of single hop beers on tap.  I tried them all and found them all boring for my palate.  But there were a lot of other people who loved them.  There is no right or wrong...well, except that I'm right!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 06:06:35 pm »
I haven't had the chance to read the new Zymurgy, because I just finished the process of moving. I mainly did this to get a taste of straight Amarillo. And I had three pounds on stock and needed to use some, so why not use 9 oz? I did the same with a dry hopped Citra APA not long ago. I had never tried Citra before. It's one of my favorite brews to date. I figure if this beer isn't great, it's still gonna be pretty good.... Kinda like pizza  :P
Frank

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 05:26:47 am »
I haven't had the chance to read the new Zymurgy, because I just finished the process of moving. I mainly did this to get a taste of straight Amarillo. And I had three pounds on stock and needed to use some, so why not use 9 oz? I did the same with a dry hopped Citra APA not long ago. I had never tried Citra before. It's one of my favorite brews to date. I figure if this beer isn't great, it's still gonna be pretty good.... Kinda like pizza  :P

Exactly.  And if you like it, that is all that matters......

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 06:10:18 am »
I'm with Dave on this, just brew it! We have done several all Amarillo beers and like the results.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 09:18:45 am »
I brewed it Saturday.... Brew day went very well.
Frank

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 01:33:48 pm »
I have almost 3 pounds of Amarillo hops,

What's your address, and do you lock up the brewery at night?

LOL

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 04:08:01 pm »
I have almost 3 pounds of Amarillo hops,

What's your address, and do you lock up the brewery at night?

LOL

Haha I don't keep my eggs all in one basket.  ;)

Check out www.hopsshack.com. I think he's out of Amarillo now, but he has pretty solid bulk hop prices. He may have ounces left available though. Being from Ohio, shipping prices are pretty legit for me.
Frank