Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: When did you switch to all grain?  (Read 14137 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: When did you switch to all grain?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 10:24:00 am »
I started in 92 as well, did ~ 15 extract/steeping grain batches.  My next plan was to try partial mashing, but realized that it would take the same amount of time as AG. So I dove in and ,like Jeff mentioned, wondered what all the fuss was about afterward.
Jon H.

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 10:28:29 am »
Like just about everyone, I started with extracts for about four years and thought I was a really good homebrewer.  Then I entered a competition and got my butt handed to me on a plate.  I took some time off from brewing and re-tooled my entire operation.  That's when I switched to all-grain.
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 10:29:00 am »
Started in '91 and was taught by one of my cousins, who had been brewing for a while, all grain.  So I started with all grain.  Speaking of pre-internet, who remembers "The Cat's Meow"?  I still have copy on one of my brew book shelves.
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 10:31:31 am »
Started in '91 and was taught by one of my cousins, who had been brewing for a while, all grain.  So I started with all grain.  Speaking of pre-internet, who remembers "The Cat's Meow"?  I still have copy on one of my brew book shelves.
Wow, there's a flashback!
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 10:32:05 am »
after my 6 or 7 partial grain/steep extract kits, i made the move to all grain. for me, there wasn't enough ability to control the finished product with the extract, and i wasn't enjoying my beer all that much. watched some videos, asked a ton of questions on the forums, and dived in head first..best move i made in brewing :P
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 10:33:55 am by wort-h.o.g. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2013, 10:38:46 am »
I brewed a few kits and in 1990 or 1991 then made a Zapap mash tun using instructions from the Complete Joy with about a hundred 1/8 inch holes drilled into the bottom of one bucket and a hose stuck into another bucket.  I made good beer with that for years.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2013, 10:41:48 am »
I brewed from extract for around 15 years before going all grain in the mid/late '80s.
The reasons for the delay were threefold:   1)  I was fairly satisfied by my extract brews (though perhaps not blown away by them);   2)  space considerations regarding the setup of all grain brewing;  and 3)  being irrationally intimidated by the perceived difficulty of the all-grain process.  I bought a house in the mid '80s that finally allowed me to build a dedicated brew kitchen and, with some help and great advice from Al Andrews and from "Stew's Brews" (anyone here remember them??),  I took the plunge.

I only wish I'd realized before that how dead simple it all really was...I would have taken the plunge much sooner.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2013, 10:57:54 am »
I did 3 extract with specialty grain batches before switching over. Honestly, I bought into the "all-grain is inherently better than extract" debate and blamed all my off-flavors and flaws on the extract. Needless to say, I paved the way for a rude awakening thinking brewing all-grain was going to fix all the issues  :o, but I am glad my ignorance pushed me to all-grain.

The biggest challenge for me was having the scratch to upgrade my equipment for all-grain brewing. Other than that, I was hoping to make my brew days longer and more involved...and sure enough they are! The mess is a little bigger, too  ;D

Any prospective all-grain brewers who don't know where to start making the jump should check out the AHA's new Introduction to All-Grain Brewing video series based on Denny's cheap and easy batch sparge method. The homemade mash tun (directions in the videos) can be made on the cheap and that is one of the biggest expenses when upgrading!

Cheers!
Duncan
American Homebrewers Association / Brewers Association

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2013, 11:27:59 am »
After doing it the first time, I said "that is all there is to it?".

Every single person I've taught to brew AG has said exactly that!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2013, 11:29:25 am »
Why I didn't listen to Denny about that I don't know.

Everybody learns at their own pace!  :)

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2013, 11:30:39 am »

Oh, yeah!  Worst recipe database ever!  Did you do rec.cafts.brewing, too?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2013, 11:30:53 am »
I switched after about 6 extract/steeping grain batches.  Never did extract without grain.  I did one partial mash batch and realized that it took as much time as AG would.  I switched to AG after that.

same here - 6 batches, though straight to all grain.  and some guy Denny helped make it seem less overwhelming than when I read about and so I tried it.  8 years and 160+ batches later and some might say i'm obsessed  :P
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline thatgeekguy

• Cellarman
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2013, 11:32:50 am »
After about six months and eight batches of extract/steeping grains. Have done two batches of all-grain using BIAB, and have been very pleased with the results and the lower costs.
I'm only here for the beer....

Offline drjones

• Cellarman
  • So much to beer, so little time to brew it all...
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2013, 11:35:14 am »
I jumped to all grain after a steeping kit and a partial mash kit, but primarily because a buddy had provided most of the equipment I needed to go there.  That aside, I've been recently impressed at how excellent a friend's kit beers have been.  It seems the main reason to take the plunge is when you want to work with Vienna, Munich, Rauch, Rye and straight wheat malts that will be hard to find as extracts.  Otherwise, I'm quite convinced that most of the kit manufacturers have really dialed in those recipes.  The rest is up the the brewer - good process=good beer.
- Brian
------------------------------------------
Fermenting: west-coast IPA
Bottled:60 schilling, 70 schilling, maple porter, wheat porter

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2013, 11:39:43 am »
I have never done an extract brew - started right off with all-grain.  I just thought that if I'm going to end up there, I might as well go for it.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton