Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: When did you switch to all grain?  (Read 14077 times)

cornershot

Re: When did you switch to all grain?
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2013, 07:23:04 pm »
I started in January '94 and  brewed 30+ extract batches a year for the first 5 or 6 years. Then my brewing tapered off to 3 or 4 extract batches a year until I got laid off in 2007. Then, with more time on my hands and less money, I started AG and I'm back up to 30+ batches a year. So I guess the Great Recession fueled my personal brewing Renaissance. Thanks Wall street!

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2013, 07:34:03 pm »
I switched to all grain after my first batch.  Made the extract batch in my kitchen... Then joined a homebrew club and used their pico system until I bought my own.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2013, 10:02:52 pm »
I made the switch once the extract batches started tasting like "kits",  probably around the 10th or so batch...they weren't bad, just mediocre enough to tell me to try all grain.   Getting a keggle and related equipment helped, of course!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2013, 07:37:29 am »
I do not think the lemonade analogy is very apt.

Anyway, I took a 15 year hiatus then it only took about 5 extract/steeping batches and I was batch sparging ala Dennybrew. But now I do whatever is convenient at the moment. One batch may be extract and the next AG. I save about 5 hours by doing an extract batch and there are other little tricks to make the session easier.

My advice to beginners flush with their successes is to learn more about the fundamentals such as temp control during fermentation than to rush into the all-grain process. But I know they will do it anyway thinking that the transition will improve their beer dramatically.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2013, 09:59:11 am »
I think I brewed 4-5 extract batches before moving over to all grain. I wasn't opposed to extract brewing but I felt like I wasn't getting as hands on with the process as I could be.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2013, 10:34:45 am »
I still brew several extract batches every year, even though I consider myself an all-grain brewer. It's a great way to brew a quick trial batch to try out new ingredients. Extract is also nice if you find yourself with a short amount of unexpected free time and want to squeeze in an impromptu brew. Or maybe squeeze in a quick second brew at the end of a brewday.

I always keep some light DME and dried yeast on hand for something spur-of-the-moment.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

fistfullofhops

« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2013, 06:24:21 pm »
I switched to all grain after 3-5 extract batches.

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beer | Metal | No Masters
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2013, 06:59:22 pm »
I made the jump after 3 extract batches.  I think there is lot to learn but one only really does that by making the move.  Do what is right for you and your wallet. 

Cheers!
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2013, 07:10:39 pm »
In my opinion, I jumped to all grain too soon. Meaning I still had some work to do in the fermentation and understanding my water. But AG is more fun, I think. I haven't brewed with LME/DME since, but I don't have a problem with it.

Looking back, I should have tooled up and learned yeast handling, full boils, hop additions,rapid chilling, fermentor temp control, and water before going to AG. Dialing in mash temps doesn't make up for being sloppy at the rest of it.

Offline ajbrenneis

• 1st Kit
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2013, 10:35:54 pm »
I brewed extract for about 6 years before I made the jump to all grain, but I did it right. Waited until I had the space and the money to put together my ideal all grain setup. Still brew extract once in a while if I am looking to save time. I have made some great beer and some not so great beer using both set ups. Love it either way!
Adam Brenneis

Member - AHA
President - Harrisonburg Homebrewers
BJCP Provisional Judge (Testing March 2014!)

Don't forget to vote for AHA Governing Committee Members Feb 20th-Mar 31st! Cast your vote for Adam Brenneis!

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2013, 04:24:38 am »
1989.  I brewed three extract batches and figured out that part of it.  Batch four was all grain.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2013, 07:47:07 am »
I did three or four extract kit batches, then did partial-mash for a while until I realized it wasn't shortening the process and was adding calculation overhead. The switch away from kits was also a switch from 5-gallon batches to batches in the 2.5 - 4 gallon range. My plan for this coming year is to do several small extract batches. I may even build a brewing calendar around that plan.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2013, 08:14:36 am »
1992-ish.  I brewed a few extract batches and then decided to try partial mashing before I realized it would be just as time consuming as all-grain (and also seemed kind of half ass). So I scrapped that idea, bought a round Gott and started fly sparging. But after finding Denny's cheap'n'easy site, I appreciated the simplicity of batch sparging and bought the required blue 70 qt Extreme. Like I posted before, in the old days the brewing literature almost tried to discourage people from going all grain, but I tried it and wondered what all the fuss was about.
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2013, 09:06:34 am »
I went to all grain after about 3 extract batches. Then I read Charile P's book "TCJoHB" and made a zap pap and never looked back.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2013, 11:15:31 am »
I just made the switch(after 6 months). I had done 5 extract with grain batches. I read a ton along the way, and before I even made my first batch. I took a beginner's course at the LHBS, and am registered for their upcoming advanced all grain class. I learned a ton at the first class, and asked a lot of questions. Many thanks to Rob W. for his class. i can only hope he is teaching the all grain one as well. Each of the 5 extract batches got better as i learned, and got temp control under my belt. Made a tun with Denny's cheap and easy method and enjoyed my brew day. That was just last Sunday, so I have not tasted my first all grain batch yet. i was very happy with each step, hittin the numbers I expected and had great efficiency. this first batch is the AG version of my third extract batch, and I hope to find some improvements in quality as I have improved my process and knowledge base. Fingers crossed and RDWHAHB!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)