Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: When did you switch to all grain?  (Read 14080 times)

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
Re: When did you switch to all grain?
« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2013, 07:41:54 am »
2 Extract batches about a year and a half ago (with steeping grains), then started exploring the steeping process and wound up doing a partial-mash for batch #3, then a couple more PM batches and I got a cooler and tried AG and never looked back.

I have to admit; partial-mash has simplicity over my present all-grain process, but I'm enjoying having seemingly total control over every aspect of the brewing process and that's what I get out of AG.
AHA Member

On Tap: APA - 1st brew on the new system!
On Deck: Kolsch, IPA

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2013, 09:39:18 am »
I switched to all grain after three extract batches.  I started with a couple extract kits, then did an extract with steeping batch recipe of my own.  All the while, I was reading info from several online forums and figured all grain wasn't a drastic step (I was doing full boils right from the start on a turkey fryer burner, and had an immersion chiller) so I made the switch and haven't looked back since.  I've done a few extract batches since then - mostly small-batch experiments like a gluten-free beer for a friend's wife.
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2013, 10:17:02 pm »
i did extract for three years before i started 3 gallon biab batches. i've been doing full mash all grain batches over the last 8-9 months. sometimes i wish i was still doing extract for the ease of a simple brew day.
cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2013, 12:21:24 am »
I switched after about six months or 15 batches. I just want to make sure I had my cleaning and sanitizing procedures down along with fermentation. Not that I had to but in my mind I wanted to deal with as few of variables at once so if something went wrong in my beers there weren't  as many variables to examine as the cause of the flaw. I have some friends that went directly and all grain and make good beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brian
mobrewer

Offline dave.kline

• 1st Kit
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2013, 10:07:52 pm »
I did two partial boil extract batches, one full boil extract batch, and then made the jump to all grain.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2013, 09:27:53 am »
I did extract with grain for about three years. Probably a total of 10 batches. I started to get a little bore with the process and decided to see how simply I could make the switch. I used a modified BIAB system made from a large nylon grain bag in my bottling bucket with a spigot. I wrapped the whole thing in several comforters (Just one of the many reasons My wife is amazing is that she was okay with me using all of our comforters for this purpose). It actually worked out quite well. I stuck with that method for 3 batches. The third batch was a strong beer and It just maxed out the bucket. Some friends asked me to brew for their wedding reception so I upgraded to the cooler mash tun then. still boiled on my stove though.

The first brew with the cooler I filled it with water and grain on the floor of my kitchen, let it mash for the requisite 60 minutes then realized that in order to drain the resulting wort I had to lift a 72 quart cooler with 12 lbs of grain and 40 quarts of hot water from the ground to the counter. ooof.

"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce