Author Topic: When did you switch to all grain?  (Read 5297 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
    • View Profile
Re: When did you switch to all grain?
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2013, 10:41:42 AM »
May 1 2012. About a year and a half after I started brewing.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2013, 11:42:39 AM »
Started in '91 and was taught by one of my cousins, who had been brewing for a while, all grain.  So I started with all grain.  Speaking of pre-internet, who remembers "The Cat's Meow"?  I still have copy on one of my brew book shelves.
Wow, there's a flashback!
yes, I remember that. "I haven't/just brewed this and I know it is going to be really good."
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 11:45:06 AM by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Slowbrew

• Senior Brewmaster
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2013, 12:00:58 PM »
Started in '91 and was taught by one of my cousins, who had been brewing for a while, all grain.  So I started with all grain.  Speaking of pre-internet, who remembers "The Cat's Meow"?  I still have copy on one of my brew book shelves.

Oh, yeah!  Worst recipe database ever!  Did you do rec.cafts.brewing, too?

I read a lot post on rec.crafts.  I don't think I ever posted though.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2013, 12:01:36 PM »
yes, I remember that. "I haven't/just brewed this and I know it is going to be really good."

IIRC, there was one recipe there that was just 10 lb. of crystal....nothing else.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline HoosierBrew

• Brewmaster General
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2013, 12:04:00 PM »

IIRC, there was one recipe there that was just 10 lb. of crystal....nothing else.
+1.  Hilarious !  There were some horrendous recipes on there.
Jon H.

Online fmader

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2013, 12:21:39 PM »
I started extract brewing in March of 2012. After about 7 or 8 batches, I switched to all grain in June of 2012. The first two all grain batches I brewed, I made from scratch. Then second of which was a cherry stout, and to my surprise, it took first place in the region of the NHC this year. I ordered a handful of all grain kits after that, but I do all my own at this point. I got my membership for the AHA for Christmas and have learned so much since then. You are at the benefit of having infinite brewing education at your finger tips. If you're asking this question, you must think you are or close to being ready for the transition. So I say go for it! I feel that brewing a beer from scratch is much more rewarding than using extracts and kits. Good luck!
Frank

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2013, 02:48:53 PM »

Yes I did.  I may have to go home tonight and see if I can dig up my copy of Cat's Meow and flip through it!   
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
When did you switch to all grain?
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2013, 03:47:12 PM »

Yes I did.  I may have to go home tonight and see if I can dig up my copy of Cat's Meow and flip through it!

When were you on rcb?  We might have "known" each other back then.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2013, 04:46:37 PM »
It only took me 6 batches to make the switch. Been doing AG ever since, but I have given some thought to doing another extract batch again. And now that I have a lot more knowledge and experience, it would be interesting to see how the same type of beer would fare against an extract one.
Member, AHA
Member, Brew Brothers of Pikes Peak
BJCP judge# D1248
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2013, 05:04:16 PM »
I brewed extract for a couple of years in the late 90s then took a break.  I started doing all-grain after moving up north and joining the local club.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
Lehigh Valley Homebrewers

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2013, 05:08:02 PM »
I did extract batches, graduating from Mr. Beer to a 5g setup, for about 2 years from about 2004.  Started doing partial mashes, then bigger partial mashes, then ran out of space in my old townhouse to really get to the next step and stopped brewing for awhile. 

Once we moved into a bigger house in 2009 I thought, "Hey, I've got some space here.".  Went back to it and straight to all grain at that point and (as my wife would put it) it's been downhill ever since.   ;D
Clint
Wort Hogs

Fermenting: Wit
On Tap: Lucifer's Hammer Golden Strong Ale, Dopplebock, Old Fuzzynut's Ale

Offline malzig

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2013, 05:20:56 PM »
I think I made 3 extract beers, 2 partial mashes, then went all grain.  About 100 batches ago, roughly.

I've tried making extract beers a few times since then.  I can make a decent extract Weizen, but otherwise I never really learned how to make extract versions of the styles I prefer that I was happy with.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2013, 06:36:49 PM »
Sometime in 1995.
Keith Y.
Self appointed "All Grain" section pruner

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2013, 06:59:09 PM »
The moment I realized that Denny's Batch Sparge website was as simple as it seemed.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2013, 07:00:19 PM »
The moment I realized that Denny's Batch Sparge website was as simple as it seemed.

And so is Denny!

www.dennybrew.com