General Category > Beer Recipes

suggestions - summer ale?

(1/3) > >>

goschman:
I am going for something very sessionable yet full flavored and balanced beer. Trying to keep the ABV below 5%. I don't know what this beer would classify as so I am just calling it a Summer Ale. It almost fits the blonde ale category but it will be a bit darker. I would like the hops to be noticeable but more on the balanced side. I may switch out the Citra for something a bit more earthy. Any input?

70% two row
20% Weyermann munich I
5% light crystal
5% flaked wheat

Magnum 60 min
Amarillo 20 min
Citra? 5 min

S04 yeast

OG ~1.046
IBUs ~25
ABV ~4.6%

morticaixavier:
I might move the 20 minute addition to 0 minutes because I think with smaller beers the hop presence is nice but if there is too much bitterness it can seem thin. grist looks good. I might skip the wheat because I can't think of a reason to put it in. I don't personally notice a huge difference in head retention or mouth feel with a small portion of wheat. but that is largely a personal preference to take that with a grain of salt.

goschman:

--- Quote from: morticaixavier on May 16, 2013, 08:50:06 AM ---I might move the 20 minute addition to 0 minutes because I think with smaller beers the hop presence is nice but if there is too much bitterness it can seem thin. grist looks good. I might skip the wheat because I can't think of a reason to put it in. I don't personally notice a huge difference in head retention or mouth feel with a small portion of wheat. but that is largely a personal preference to take that with a grain of salt.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Mort.

I will probably remove the wheat....better to keep it simple. So you think that 1/2 oz of Amarillo at 20 min would be too much for 5 gallons? Balancing my hop schedule has been a real issue for me so I definitely don't want to over do it.

morticaixavier:

--- Quote from: goschman on May 16, 2013, 09:07:35 AM ---
--- Quote from: morticaixavier on May 16, 2013, 08:50:06 AM ---I might move the 20 minute addition to 0 minutes because I think with smaller beers the hop presence is nice but if there is too much bitterness it can seem thin. grist looks good. I might skip the wheat because I can't think of a reason to put it in. I don't personally notice a huge difference in head retention or mouth feel with a small portion of wheat. but that is largely a personal preference to take that with a grain of salt.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Mort.

I will probably remove the wheat....better to keep it simple. So you think that 1/2 oz of Amarillo at 20 min would be too much for 5 gallons? Balancing my hop schedule has been a real issue for me so I definitely don't want to over do it.

--- End quote ---

it's so much a matter of taste that it's hard for me to say. I really like hoppy but not bitter. I think the bitterness should balance the residual sweetness and maybe a little overrun. Then I want flavor and aroma.

My wife describes an asprin like aftertaste with really bitter beers but give her something seriously hop bursted and she is happy. and the magic is, even with 20-25 IBUs if you put a TON (figurative) of late hops in it will seem really hoppy but still be balanced.

I also have been having good luck splitting my bittering charge between FWH and 60 minute.

HoosierBrew:

--- Quote from: morticaixavier on May 16, 2013, 09:38:29 AM ---
--- Quote from: goschman on May 16, 2013, 09:07:35 AM ---

--- End quote ---

Thanks Mort.

--- End quote ---

it's so much a matter of taste that it's hard for me to say. I really like hoppy but not bitter. I think the bitterness should balance the residual sweetness and maybe a little overrun. Then I want flavor and aroma.

My wife describes an asprin like aftertaste with really bitter beers but give her something seriously hop bursted and she is happy. and the magic is, even with 20-25 IBUs if you put a TON (figurative) of late hops in it will seem really hoppy but still be balanced.

I also have been having good luck splitting my bittering charge between FWH and 60 minute.

--- End quote ---
The good thing about your grist is it gives you options.  It's could be a pale ale hopped to style, or you could hop burst like crazy and retain the maltiness up front, and then get a good hop blast at the end. Or tone the hops down to get just a simple summer drinking beer. Of course my wife would want the summer ale with a can of fruit puree in secondary.  I fight that as often as possible, but she wins occasionally.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version