Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Newbie Here  (Read 13221 times)

Offline shane70

• 1st Kit
Newbie Here
« on: May 17, 2013, 02:49:05 pm »
Hi,
My Name is Shane. I recently purchased the Brewer's Best , Beer Brewing Equipment Kit. I have been wanting to try home brewing for some time now. The only thing that has been holding me back is my taste in beer. I'm picky.... My favorite beer is Miller Genuine Draft in the bottle. I have yet to find a dark beer that I like at all and from what I've seen, home brew is mostly dark beer. Recently I decided to give it a try. With the purchase of the Kit, I also purchased the Continental Pilsner  Kit (I was told it was a light golden beer), a 5 gallon glass Carboy for a second fermentation.
I have seen the YouTube video's on how to get started and what to do, Plus the kit comes with a to do list. My question is, I cannot find anything on line about the Brewer's Best Continental Pilsner kit, so I'm wondering if its any good. I've been told the kit might be a bit hard for a beginner. Plus, what other brands should I try (Keeping in mind I want to get as close to the taste of Miller Genuine Draft.

Thanks for your help.

Shane
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 03:40:20 pm by shane70 »

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Newbie Here
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 02:53:51 pm »
and from what I've seen, home brew is mostly dark beer.

Boy, are you in for a surprise.  Some of my favorite beers are so light and clear, you can read through them (Munich Helles, Pilsner, even a pale ale ).

Also, don't write off dark beers totally.  Maybe what you don't like is roastiness, but there are tons of dark beers that don't emphasize that.

Also, be aware with a pilsner kit, you'll need someway to control fermentation temperature at a low level ( 50-55F). 

Welcome to your new obsession.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 03:06:12 pm »
Brewers Best Kits are usually very high quality.

Don't let anyone tell you brewing beer is hard.  It is way easier than you think it is at this point.  As theDarkside said your most difficult thing will be keeping it cool while it ferments.  Do a search on swamp chillers and ice baths (using frozen soda bottles filled with water) to control your temps.

Be careful about sanitation and have fun!

Ask any questions you have here on the forum.  Everyone here is happy to teach.

Welcome to the best and most interesting hobby I have ever had.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 03:07:52 pm »
Keeping in mind I want to get as close to the taste of Miller Genuine Draft.

Thanks for your help.

Shane

Shane,
You may be disappointed with your beer if you are expecting it to taste like MGD.  Most homebrews have a lot more beer flavor than that.  More malt, more hops, more body.
You may like it, but it won't be MGD,
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 03:42:53 pm »
If you want to brew something close to MGD, you should try a cream ale or other light ale.

You'll have a hard time doing lagers without a dedicated fridge to ferment in.

I'm not sure they make a kit to get you what you want.  Good luck.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 04:38:35 pm »
I won't say it is hard but can be time consuming... ;)

Well if you want MGD type homebrew then it'll probably take some experimentation and extra equipment purchases such as a fridge or freezer to lager the beer. Also, you won't get immediate results as it can take months to produce the final polished lager beer you're aiming at.

I think a blonde, kolsch or cream ale would be ideal for a beginner not wanting to stray too far from his normal expectations with lager beer.

Welcome to the obsession Shane!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Newbie Here
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 04:58:38 pm »
Congrats on taking the first step and I totally agree with what's already been said.

Take a trip to a good liquor store that sells quality and variety of craft beer and buy some pilsner, kolsch, Saisons or other light beers to sample. A good store manager should be able to help you pick a few.

Lager style beers will require time and dedicated temperature control but kolsch and Saisons are more forgiving and the yeast actually like some heat to ferment so it's less of an issue.

Once you find the lighter styles you enjoy you can then look into those types of kits from the various suppliers of quality kits.

Once your palette adapts to home brew you'll be hooked and your hobby will become an obsession:)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline shane70

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 09:21:50 am »
 :)Thank you all for your reply. I honestly didn't think I would get such nice and very helpful advise. I will look into trying other types of beer, Including the dark one. I do have a liquor store not that far from me that sells all type of beer, maybe they can help me on choosing what I may like in beer.
Also, as for the swamp cooler, I will look into that. I do have a mini fridge that  I may get a 5 gal bucket into. Im not sure. its the kind with its own freezer door. looks like a real mini fridge. But, now knowing I have to keep the temp down to 50-55F, I will need to figure something out before I start it up.
Also, when I bought the kit, the guys suggested I get the carboys for a second fermentation. Since I haven't read all my directions yet, I will before I start it up. Im only guessing I let it fermit in the 5 gal bucket for about two weeks then change it over to the carboy. How long do I let it fermit in there until I bottle it up?

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 09:57:05 am »
But, now knowing I have to keep the temp down to 50-55F, I will need to figure something out before I start it up.

Be aware that the 50-55F is only for fermenting lagers (ie. Pilsner, etc.).  Ales (ie. Pale Ale, Blonde, etc.) only need to be held to the upper 60s
Joe

Offline shane70

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 10:53:34 am »
But, now knowing I have to keep the temp down to 50-55F, I will need to figure something out before I start it up.

Be aware that the 50-55F is only for fermenting lagers (ie. Pilsner, etc.).  Ales (ie. Pale Ale, Blonde, etc.) only need to be held to the upper 60s

Thankyou.
My First batch will be the Continental Pilsner Kit

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Newbie Here
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 11:13:52 am »

Thankyou.
My First batch will be the Continental Pilsner Kit

A lot of "pilsner" kits come with ale yeast instead of lager yeast.  If that's the case with yours, you'll want to ferment it in the low-mid 60s rather than the 50s.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 11:17:53 am »
Also, when I bought the kit, the guys suggested I get the carboys for a second fermentation. Since I haven't read all my directions yet, I will before I start it up. Im only guessing I let it fermit in the 5 gal bucket for about two weeks then change it over to the carboy. How long do I let it fermit in there until I bottle it up?

Don't worry about transferring it to the secondary.  Let it in the primary for 2-3 weeks then bottle it up.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Newbie Here
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 12:01:09 pm »

Don't worry about transferring it to the secondary.  Let it in the primary for 2-3 weeks then bottle it up.

Not if its a true lager, he'll want to rack it off the yeast when at FG and then lager it in the Carboy:)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Newbie Here
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 12:23:44 pm »

Not if its a true lager, he'll want to rack it off the yeast when at FG and then lager it in the Carboy:)

I'm betting it doesn't use lager yeast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 05:04:16 pm »
according to the Brewers Best description that kit does use a lager yeast but one selected to perform 'well' at ale temps.

"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce