General Category > Homebrew Clubs

Newbie Here

(1/5) > >>

shane70:
Hi,
My Name is Shane. I recently purchased the Brewer's Best , Beer Brewing Equipment Kit. I have been wanting to try home brewing for some time now. The only thing that has been holding me back is my taste in beer. I'm picky.... My favorite beer is Miller Genuine Draft in the bottle. I have yet to find a dark beer that I like at all and from what I've seen, home brew is mostly dark beer. Recently I decided to give it a try. With the purchase of the Kit, I also purchased the Continental Pilsner  Kit (I was told it was a light golden beer), a 5 gallon glass Carboy for a second fermentation.
I have seen the YouTube video's on how to get started and what to do, Plus the kit comes with a to do list. My question is, I cannot find anything on line about the Brewer's Best Continental Pilsner kit, so I'm wondering if its any good. I've been told the kit might be a bit hard for a beginner. Plus, what other brands should I try (Keeping in mind I want to get as close to the taste of Miller Genuine Draft.

Thanks for your help.

Shane

theDarkSide:

--- Quote from: shane70 on May 17, 2013, 01:49:05 PM --- and from what I've seen, home brew is mostly dark beer.
--- End quote ---

Boy, are you in for a surprise.  Some of my favorite beers are so light and clear, you can read through them (Munich Helles, Pilsner, even a pale ale ).

Also, don't write off dark beers totally.  Maybe what you don't like is roastiness, but there are tons of dark beers that don't emphasize that.

Also, be aware with a pilsner kit, you'll need someway to control fermentation temperature at a low level ( 50-55F). 

Welcome to your new obsession.

Slowbrew:
Brewers Best Kits are usually very high quality.

Don't let anyone tell you brewing beer is hard.  It is way easier than you think it is at this point.  As theDarkside said your most difficult thing will be keeping it cool while it ferments.  Do a search on swamp chillers and ice baths (using frozen soda bottles filled with water) to control your temps.

Be careful about sanitation and have fun!

Ask any questions you have here on the forum.  Everyone here is happy to teach.

Welcome to the best and most interesting hobby I have ever had.

Paul

jeffy:

--- Quote from: shane70 on May 17, 2013, 01:49:05 PM ---Keeping in mind I want to get as close to the taste of Miller Genuine Draft.

Thanks for your help.

Shane

--- End quote ---

Shane,
You may be disappointed with your beer if you are expecting it to taste like MGD.  Most homebrews have a lot more beer flavor than that.  More malt, more hops, more body.
You may like it, but it won't be MGD,

Joe Sr.:
If you want to brew something close to MGD, you should try a cream ale or other light ale.

You'll have a hard time doing lagers without a dedicated fridge to ferment in.

I'm not sure they make a kit to get you what you want.  Good luck.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version