Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Split batch questions  (Read 1876 times)

Offline chadchaney97

• Cellarman
Split batch questions
« on: May 18, 2013, 08:58:39 pm »
I want to brew tomorrow, well everyday, but I am planning on brewing tomorrow.  My pipeline is getting dangerously low due to kid and work functions so I want to do a double batch instead of a back to back brew day.   My goal is to brew a 10 gallon batch and split it into 2 beers, one Hefeweizen and one Dunkelweizen.  I have a nice fresh wash of WL Hefeweizen ready to go, and the malt is ready to be crushed first thing in the am, but I am not sure the best way to approach this.  I usually use my ten gallon kettle for 5 gallon batches, but this time I think I am going to use my buddy's keggle.  I also have access to a second mash tun and I am not sure how to accomplish this.  Anybody have any pointers?

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
Re: Split batch questions
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 11:52:54 am »
Sounds like you'll only have one mash/lauter tun.  If it is not around 15 gallon capacity you'll have to do two separate mashes/sparges.  Or, you could get a paint strainer bag and do a BIAB mash in your 10 gallon kettle same time as the mash/sparge in your mashtun, and combine the runoffs into your friend's keggle.  Hopefully you have a good chiller, I use a 50' long 1/2" copper immersion chiller in my keggle for 10 gallon batches.  I have had to use a 25' for 10 gallons before.  If that's what you have, just keep stirring the wort while chilling to reduce the time to get the wort to pitching temp.

If you don't want to do a concurrent BIAB, just do two separate mash/sparges.  After the first one, I would keep the runoff in the keggle above 160F so nothing can grow in there until you add the second mash/sparge runoff.

I'm no expert on BIAB but I don't see why this wouldn't work.  Or without using a strainer bag, mash 1/2 of your wort volume in the 10-gallon pot, runoff through a strainer into the keggle followed by a sparge and again runoff through the strainer.

After chilling, just transfer from the keggle into two fermenters in equal volumes and pitch as usual with different yeasts.

If you want to brew two separate beers with different grains and hops of course you'll have to mash/sparge, and then boil them separately, each for 5 gallons of wort.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 12:05:34 pm by brewsumore »