Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Collecting Cooling Water for Future Brews  (Read 5940 times)

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Collecting Cooling Water for Future Brews
« on: May 18, 2013, 09:32:05 pm »
Does anyone collect and save the water they use to cool their worts and use that water for the mash and/or sparge for future brews?  If so, how do you collect and save your water?  Is there any negatives in doing this? 

I currently don't do an treatments to my water and just use the good ole' tap water here in Aurora, CO.  One day I'll get around to getting my water analyzed and adjusting my water where needed. 

« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 09:36:17 pm by thebigbaker »
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Collecting Cooling Water for Future Brews
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 09:39:09 pm »
Could toss it in gallon jugs but I think you'd be better off just repurposing it, like water the yard or wash the truck..

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 09:57:39 pm »
I've been using it to water flowers, the lawn, hops, and using it to clean equipment.  Yet, as I was watering the flowers this evening, I was wondering if anyone used the water in their next brew.  I probably would need to use a RV hose instead of a garden hose to hook up to my IC.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 12:21:39 pm »
some pro brewers run the hot chilling water right into the tun for the next mash. Why waste the heat? but your' just talking about saving it till you brew again some other day. Get some big 5 gallon jugs if you want. It's never a bad idea to have 10-15 gallons of drinking water available.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Online reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 01:29:27 pm »
I put it to use watering the hops/garden/yard depending on what needs watering the most.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 01:42:30 pm »
some pro brewers run the hot chilling water right into the tun for the next mash. Why waste the heat? but your' just talking about saving it till you brew again some other day. Get some big 5 gallon jugs if you want. It's never a bad idea to have 10-15 gallons of drinking water available.

Your right, I was thinking about using the collected water for mash and/or sparge for another day.  I usually brew 3-4 times a month, so the water would sit around for a week at most. 
Jeremy Baker

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 01:58:12 pm »
It's never a bad idea to have 10-15 gallons of drinking water available.

Are you prepping, Mort?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 02:01:48 pm »

Are you prepping, Mort?

;D

Nah, Really it's just because I live in earthquake country. Not to say the apocalypse isn't coming, I'm just not specifically preparing for THAT.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 02:15:07 pm »

Are you prepping, Mort?

;D

Nah, Really it's just because I live in earthquake country. Not to say the apocalypse isn't coming, I'm just not specifically preparing for THAT.

You've put my mind at ease.  But seriously, I agree that it's not a bad idea.

I've thought about it when we've had some particularly bad winter storms, but we never really lose power where I'm at.  And, if I'm snowed in there's plenty of water outside and plenty of beer inside.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 02:20:08 pm »
We lose power so many times during most winters that it's become SOP for me to fill a few kegs with water.  We have a well, so no power=no water.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Re: Collecting Cooling Water for Future Brews
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 04:37:43 pm »
We lose power so many times during most winters that it's become SOP for me to fill a few kegs with water.  We have a well, so no power=no water.

Same here. In the 3 years we've lived in this house we've had at least one multiday power outage every year. If they predict a potential outage I fill my carboys with water in advance. Think I'm going to pull the trigger on a whole house generator this year though. No water and no heat royally sucks.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 10:35:34 am »
I actually just did this a couple weeks ago. The water sat overnight then I used the water for brewing 2 more batches. I collected the water in a 20 gallon food safe garbage can. The wort from both batches tasted good. Now to taste the beers since they are done fermenting!
Cheers,
Brandon

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 11:01:51 am »
I actually just did this a couple weeks ago. The water sat overnight then I used the water for brewing 2 more batches. I collected the water in a 20 gallon food safe garbage can. The wort from both batches tasted good. Now to taste the beers since they are done fermenting!
Cheers,
Brandon

Thanks, I'm going to give it a go this weekend.  Gonna save the water from Saturday's brew and use it for the mash and sparge for the Sunday brew. 
Jeremy Baker

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Re: Collecting Cooling Water for Future Brews
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 12:09:02 pm »

[/quote]

Are you prepping, Mort?
[/quote]

What's wrong with prepping? Its why I started brewing. What's the point of surviving the ZA if there's no beer?

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 07:29:17 am »
Cheers,
Brandon

Thanks, I'm going to give it a go this weekend.  Gonna save the water from Saturday's brew and use it for the mash and sparge for the Sunday brew.

I've been doing this for awhile when I'm brewing again within a few days. I used to run off into the washing machine, but I got a newfangled one that can't handle being pre-filled.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.