General Category > Beer Recipes

Witbier grain bill: Unmalted wheat vs flaked wheat

(1/3) > >>

guido:
Is there a real advantage to using unmalted wheat for my Witbier rather than flaked wheat.  I understand that unmalted wheat is difficult to grind (it has to be almost flour, right), that I'll need an extended protein rest, and lots of rice hulls--just to be sure.   I've also heard that I might need 6-row for more enzymatic power.  But everyone says the wheat flavor and body is outstanding.  It's really tempting.

morticaixavier:
flaked wheat IS unmalted.

However flaked is pre-gelatinizated so you don't have to worry about that aspect. whole unmalted wheat berries have a gelatinization temp around the mid to high 150s if I recall. but that is best case scenario with a grind close to flour.

so with the flaked wheat the starch will be readily available to the enzymes for conversion where the un-flaked wheat the starch has to gelatinize first. which is may or may not do completely.

guido:

--- Quote from: morticaixavier on May 22, 2013, 12:40:20 PM ---flaked wheat IS unmalted.

However flaked is pre-gelatinizated so you don't have to worry about that aspect. whole unmalted wheat berries have a gelatinization temp around the mid to high 150s if I recall. but that is best case scenario with a grind close to flour.

so with the flaked wheat the starch will be readily available to the enzymes for conversion where the un-flaked wheat the starch has to gelatinize first. which is may or may not do completely.

--- End quote ---

I did know the flaked wheat was unmalted.  I should have mentioned that so it wouldn't be confusing.  I have heard of people "cooking" the wheat berries separately to gelatinize them, and then adding the berries to the mash.  Of course, if I didn't get a total conversion, the mash would be a little cloudy--which isn't a bad thing for a witbier.

morticaixavier:
Your efficiency will likely suffer as well but yeah, that's the main concern. I would hazard a guess that whole wheat berries will taste a lot fresher than flaked ones as well.

Puffed is another option, just to make things more complicated.

tygo:

--- Quote from: morticaixavier on May 22, 2013, 01:43:40 PM --- I would hazard a guess that whole wheat berries will taste a lot fresher than flaked ones as well.

--- End quote ---

That was my thinking when I picked up a bag of these to use in the wit I'll be brewing in a couple of weeks:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005XDUA9K/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version