Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: can you repair a beer  (Read 5797 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: can you repair a beer
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 11:07:18 am »
Don't mean to ask a stupid question, but did you take the reading post boil? If you take the reading before the boil you will have some stratification. Preboil my gravity reading is always low.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2013, 10:39:47 pm »
Preboil, mine is always high, but the wort runs into the kettle through the bottom so that kind of makes sense.  Nothing like having your gravity drop after boiling for an hour . . . now I take a reading after the hot break to gauge where it is, it has been mixed enough by then to give me a reliable number.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
can you repair a beer
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 06:40:47 pm »
Preboil, mine is always high, but the wort runs into the kettle through the bottom so that kind of makes sense.  Nothing like having your gravity drop after boiling for an hour . . . now I take a reading after the hot break to gauge where it is, it has been mixed enough by then to give me a reliable number.

exactly.

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 09:12:37 pm »
When it's done just call it a session IPA. I say this simply to annoy Denny. Nothing bad about an extra hoppy and bitter pale ale, IMO.
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2013, 05:23:47 am »
When it's done just call it a session IPA. I say this simply to annoy Denny. Nothing bad about an extra hoppy and bitter pale ale, IMO.

+1
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2013, 05:26:32 am »
That's also quite a miss.  Do you have an idea of what happened?

Agree that that's quite a miss.  Looks like he was expecting just under 80% efficiency and ended up getting less that 60%.  Something definitely went wrong.

If you're brand new to all-grain, it takes awhile to figure out where you're at in efficiency. My system normally gets around 60-65% (and 55% if I use a lot of rye), but it took me awhile to figure out all the variables I needed to keep constant in order to achieve a constant efficiency.

If you got 80% efficiency on one batch and 60% on the next, something is inconsistent, and we can dive deeper into your process.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2013, 09:46:14 am »

exactly.

+1.060.  Learned through experience.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2013, 09:47:59 am »

Annoyed! 

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell