Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Copper does remove sulfur!  (Read 24353 times)

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
Re: Copper does remove sulfur!
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 04:28:03 pm »
The pear is subtle but distinctly different from apple cider. It is wine-like with slight residual sweetness. Pears contain sorbitol, an unfermentable sugar alcohol, and this is noticable compared to fully fermented apple ciders.

FWIW, sorbitol is one of the reasons that pear juice and sugar free gum will help ya poop.
Don AHA member

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 09:11:47 am »
Great to know, and it sounds delicious!

Also, I see you're getting in on this thumbring business.
That's my wife's thumb.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Copper does remove sulfur!
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 07:43:07 am »
i have mine in the BK - but have run through copper tubing when sulphur has been a problem with good results.
I originally thought I'd just run the cider through the copper tube as I was racking into the bottling bucket, but I was worried that wouldn't be enough contact time. Do you think that would have worked?

I worked for me once before. Ran it through a few feet, don't remember how much now.

Offline Jo Diesel

• Cellarman
  • BEER! Its what makes me HAPPY
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 08:45:17 am »
Is the copper coil chiller OK? Have not had issues but I always use my copper chiller

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2013, 08:51:16 am »
Is the copper coil chiller OK? Have not had issues but I always use my copper chiller
Yep. Works for me.
Jon H.

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2013, 09:39:25 am »
Some lager yeasts produce a lot of sulfur compounds after the copper chiller.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2013, 10:24:40 am »

I'm experiencing that with WLP029 Kolsch yeast - sulfur bomb! I think it may age out with some lagering based on what I've been reading. If not, I'll throw a small piece of copper in the keg.  8)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2013, 07:42:24 pm »

I'm experiencing that with WLP029 Kolsch yeast - sulfur bomb! I think it may age out with some lagering based on what I've been reading. If not, I'll throw a small piece of copper in the keg.  8)

Amanda, how warm are you going with 029?
I get way more sulfur when I let it get warm.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2013, 04:32:12 pm »
If you're adding copper post-ferment, I'd be very careful. It's a heavy metal, so it's not exactly "good for you." I read something Martin wrote about the yeast grabbing up excess copper in the wort. If you're adding it post-ferment, though, I'm not sure if the yeast will bind with it, or if you'll end up drinking it.

Here's an x-post from the probrewer forum, but I thought some here might find this helpful:

Sulfur will bind with oxidation byproducts as well. I read a study that found lagers with higher sulfur levels were more stable than those with low sulfur.

Post-ferment sulfur is probably mercaptans, and they can be removed with copper. Try treating a small amount with copper (put a penny in a glass). If it's mercaptans, the smell will disappear immediately. If not, you've got sulfides, and if so, good luck.

To avoid producing excess H2S (which later form mercaptans, then sulfides/disulfides) in the first place, ferment at a lower temperature, provide necessary YAN, select a low-sulfur yeast strain.

Running beer through a copper tube or something is kind of a WAG approach to sulfur removal. You don't really know how much copper you're adding when you do that. Wine guys use titration bench tests with copper sulfate solutions to determine the exact amount they need to add. The copper sulfide you create after the sulfate reacts with the mercaptans will settle out over time, and you should remove it if you can. So fine, rack, filter or all the above.

For dealing with sulfides, well, you should probably just give up. There is a hail-mary approach, though: in the absence of oxygen sulfides will revert back to mercaptans. So you can use asorbic acid or similar antioxidant to try to knock out the O2, then treat with copper. But, that's not a sure or fast way to do it.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2013, 08:08:11 pm »
For sure, if you're going to have copper contact, it needs to be with the wort...pre-fermentation.  The wort is less acidic than beer and the yeast will subsequently bind the yeast.  No copper contact with beer!
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Jo Diesel

• Cellarman
  • BEER! Its what makes me HAPPY
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2013, 11:31:30 am »
So don't use your still as a FERMENTOR!  ::)