General Category > Extract/Partial Mash Brewing

2nd Extract questions

(1/4) > >>

flbrewer:
Hi all,
I'm brewing my second extract kit tomorrow (Ferocious IPA from Midwest) and have a few questions...

-My crushed grains have been crushed and sitting in a closet (ziplock) for about 4 weeks, will this affect anything?

-There is a bit of grain dust I can see in the bag, should I rinse the grains in the muslin bag prior to seeping?

-Any need to rinse/wash/sanitize the muslin bag for seeping?

-Is there an issue when I don't use 100% of the malt extracts provided? (even after heating in warm water, I can't seem to get ALL of the extract syrup out of the plastic jugs into the kettle)

Thank you!

morticaixavier:
Hooked huh?

--- Quote from: flbrewer on May 23, 2013, 02:51:55 PM ---Hi all,
I'm brewing my second extract kit tomorrow (Ferocious IPA from Midwest) and have a few questions...

-My crushed grains have been crushed and sitting in a closet (ziplock) for about 4 weeks, will this affect anything? No worries, fresher is better but 4 weeks is not a problem

-There is a bit of grain dust I can see in the bag, should I rinse the grains in the muslin bag prior to seeping?again, no worries. The dust is not going to hurt anything

-Any need to rinse/wash/sanitize the muslin bag for seeping? nope

-Is there an issue when I don't use 100% of the malt extracts provided? (even after heating in warm water, I can't seem to get ALL of the extract syrup out of the plastic jugs into the kettle)There will be an ever so slight reduction in gravity but not enough to worry about. If you want to pour hot water in the jug from the kettle to dissolved the last bits that's fine but I wouldn't work about it too much.

Thank you!

--- End quote ---

klickitat jim:
Don't sweat the small stuff.
Do things the same way each time

So, pre crushed is fine
Don't rinse off yummy dust
Sanitizer is for anything post boil
If you want to get it all out, cut it open and scrape it out, but I wouldn't worry

euge:
I reserve some of the hot kettle water to rinse the containers out. Costs nothing.

flbrewer:

--- Quote from: morticaixavier on May 23, 2013, 02:57:02 PM ---Hooked huh?

--- End quote ---

A yup.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version