Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2nd Extract questions  (Read 6903 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: 2nd Extract questions
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 08:59:45 am »
I only add extract to hot water- as in around 120F and with the heat off. With bladders of LME it is easy to get all of the extract out. I use the edge of the kettle to squeegee what remains in the bag into the hot water. This also works with late extract additions. It is pretty important to turn the flame off when adding any type of extract or syrup. Get it stirred and dissolved into the wort before the flame is turned back on and you'll avoid scorching.

My first barleywine got scorched- it took years of cellaring before that flavor dissipated completely. :(
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 09:01:33 am »
Well, I'd get as much of that out of the wort as you can.  It's probably already affected the flavor, but maybe you can minimize it.

I honestly can't say I ever ruined a batch from scorching, but it's been many years and I was not so discerning back then.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
2nd Extract questions
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 10:08:30 am »
Drained it you guys. Check out the latest pic on the above Instagram link. Major scorching on the kettle. Time to regroup.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 10:13:18 am »
Based on the latest pic, it looks like you need some kind of heat diffusion between the burner and the pot.  This could be a piece of metal, moving the pot further from the burner, or getting a thicker bottomed pot.  Or maybe you can just turn the gas down, full blast is not always a great idea.  It is obviously getting too hot right above the flames.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 10:15:16 am »
I still say ferment it out and see how it tastes.

At the least, you've learned two things: 1) turn off the heat before you add extract and 2) get some diffusion in between the kettle and the flame.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton