Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Pro Competition  (Read 8851 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: First Pro Competition
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 03:47:43 pm »
I am interested in the forms they are using, whether it is BJCP, World Beer Cup, GABF or something they made up.  Please let us know when you get them.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 11:30:55 pm »
I judged the competition (but not the ambers :) )

From what I was told, the forms are similar to the GABF ones but modified to add room for feedback and tasting notes.  Feedback was to be focused on best category for the beer, technical flaws, and bottling issues.  I found them to be very easy to use and they allowed for quick judging (BOS style).
Tom Schmidlin

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 06:38:10 am »
I judged the competition (but not the ambers :) )

From what I was told, the forms are similar to the GABF ones but modified to add room for feedback and tasting notes.  Feedback was to be focused on best category for the beer, technical flaws, and bottling issues.  I found them to be very easy to use and they allowed for quick judging (BOS style).

Just curious, do the judges know whose beer they're drinking or is it judged blindly?
Trey W.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 08:50:24 am »
We got the judging forms in the mail yesterday.  Very quick, as the awards were just this past Saturday. 

The sheets were different than BJCP.  They had each major category, but then a line with each one with "bad" on one side, and "good" on the other, then the judge would place a tick mark on where they felt the beer scored.  Almost a 1-10 scale, but not really.  Each category line has a "normal" range. 

For our Amber, one judge scored it quite well, one really did not enjoy it, and the third was not so bad, but not great either.  The comments from two judges indicated diacetyl.  I should have kept one bottle from that batch to taste while reading the judging sheets.  Looks like I need to work on my fermenting process.

All in all the judging sheets are brief, but informative.  No numerical score.  We will enter again. 

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 08:52:38 am »
For our Amber, one judge scored it quite well, one really did not enjoy it, and the third was not so bad, but not great either.  The comments from two judges indicated diacetyl.  I should have kept one bottle from that batch to taste while reading the judging sheets.  Looks like I need to work on my fermenting process.

What yeast did you use?
Trey W.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 09:03:08 am »

What yeast did you use?

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 09:16:03 am »

Can you get diacetyl from 1056?
Trey W.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 09:19:09 am »

From my understanding, yes.  Although if anyone has other thoughts, I'd love to hear them.  Basically I think I need to age the beer in the fermenters a little longer, and maybe raise the temp for the last couple days. 

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 09:30:31 am »

From my understanding, yes.  Although if anyone has other thoughts, I'd love to hear them.  Basically I think I need to age the beer in the fermenters a little longer, and maybe raise the temp for the last couple days.

I've used this strain multiple times and never had diacetyl problems.  Everything I've read on it suggests "low", if any, diacetyl.  Not sure if anyone else on the forum has had diacetyl with 1056.  That judge may have been picking up on some of the specialty malts you used.  I wouldn't change anything too much based on that comment.  However, I usually ramp the temperature up a bit toward the end of fermentation and before cold crashing just to help the yeast finish up.

Sounds like your reviews were pretty good overall.  Congrats and keep us posted on any future events.
Trey W.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2013, 09:49:12 am »
It is possible to get secondary onset diacetyl from late onset oxygenation, i.e. bottling.  So it is possible it has nothing to do with yeast or fermentation.

Also, I have noticed a larger percentage of specialy grains can create the perception of diacetyl.

I have never had diacetyl from chico, but anything is possible.  I tend to ferment that strain 64F and below.

My assumption is it is late-diacetyl is it takes good and clean out of the keg.

Some people are more sensitive to diacetyl than others.  I am very sensitive to it.

Offline svejk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Seattle, Wa
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2013, 10:24:30 am »
Just curious, do the judges know whose beer they're drinking or is it judged blindly?

A friend of mine judged this competition and he told me that all beers were judged blindly.  In addition, since these were local breweries and local judges, they were asked to disclose if they had close connections at any breweries so they could judge categories that those breweries didn't enter to avoid any apparent conflicts.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2013, 11:24:39 am »

A friend of mine judged this competition and he told me that all beers were judged blindly.  In addition, since these were local breweries and local judges, they were asked to disclose if they had close connections at any breweries so they could judge categories that those breweries didn't enter to avoid any apparent conflicts.
Yes, blind.  The organizers are very experienced at running BJCP competitions, they put this one together for the pro beers this year.  I think it was a huge success and I'm sure it will be repeated.
Tom Schmidlin