Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: ~40 gallon plastic coke barrels  (Read 3372 times)

Offline dglucasii

• Cellarman
  • I'd rather be brewing
~40 gallon plastic coke barrels
« on: May 29, 2013, 07:57:57 pm »
My wife procured several a coke barrels from my local coke bottler for rain collection.  She brought home a skinny one that I was considering to steal and use as a primary fermenter(with a few mods).  It smells like Sprite, so I figured I would fill it with water in the sun for a few days to soak the residual flavor out.  Questions are: will soaking work to remove the favor?  If not what will?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: ~40 gallon plastic coke barrels
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 08:08:29 pm »
Maybe a big IIPA ?

Offline dglucasii

• Cellarman
  • I'd rather be brewing
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 09:01:03 pm »
LOL...that would probably work.  :D

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 04:51:26 am »
Are they plastic or metal barrels? 

Metal should clean up fairly easily.  A hot PBW soak and maybe replacing any gaskets and you should be fine.

Plastic may take quite a bit of work to get the smell out.  There was a thread a few weeks ago ago about getting rotten grain smells out of an insulated cooler mash tun that had lots of ideas.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 06:58:00 am »
Honestly, there's probably no way to be sure until you try. You've probably got a good chance though.  I'd add some oxiclean to the soak water to help.

I have a 60 gallon plastic grape must barrel that I got from a winery. I'm sure it smelled like grapes then, but not now.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 11:27:38 am »
Baking soda and hot water works wonders to remove odors.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dglucasii

• Cellarman
  • I'd rather be brewing
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 05:13:51 pm »
It's a plastic barrel...I like the baking soda idea...I've had some success with it previously as a safe soap additive.  If the doesn't work, I'll go for the oxyclean
Thanks!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 05:48:38 pm »
Oxyclean. Soak overnight.

But, ferment one batch and the sprite smell will be gone and I doubt you'd taste it in the beer.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Jo Diesel

• Cellarman
  • BEER! Its what makes me HAPPY
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 09:49:27 am »
I just bought 3 18 gal food grade barrels but they do have a plastic smell that I do not want to come through in my beer. Would Oxy Clean Or baking soda be best or could I mix the two. I was going to soak with bleach

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 09:51:45 am »
Soak in bleach and they'll smell like bleach instead of plastic.

I'd do oxiclean or baking soda - possibly alternate the two - but don't mix them. They might react with each other and cancel each other out.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 11:31:27 am »
I think I'd start w/a good detergent (Dawn?) first to cut any oily processing aids.  Then I'd hit it w/some PBW - the hotter the better.  I'd use oxyclean only if I were sure there was no fragrance oil in it - plastics can take up oils fairly easily and fragrances are usually oils.  Baking soda works on stinky fatty acids, but that's probably not going to help you.

Bleach is a good sanitizer.  It probably won't eliminate plastic smell because there is little if any interaction between bleach and the plastic.  They package it in polyethylene.  The plastic shouldn't absorb any bleach odor if you rinse it well enough.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline dglucasii

• Cellarman
  • I'd rather be brewing
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 07:26:03 pm »
Thanks for all the posts...I have had it soaking in water and baking soda for the past few days..sounds like I may need something stronger.