Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: funnel upgrade  (Read 1731 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
funnel upgrade
« on: May 26, 2013, 04:28:45 pm »
Picking up a few items and I'm curious if a funnel with a strainer is a good idea, or one with the anti-splash design.
Would a reduction in trub poured into the fermentor ever be a negative thing?

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
funnel upgrade
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 04:51:13 pm »
I'd go for the funnel with a strainer, just a handy thing to have
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: funnel upgrade
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 07:35:49 pm »
My funnel has a strainer and I like it.  Athough I don't worry too much about how much trub gets into my fermenters, it's nice to strain some of it.  You just need to be careful when you use a good amount of hops as the strainer will clog.  I use a home made hop spider for my pellet hops, so there's never enough "stuff" to clog my funnel strainer now. 

I don't think reduction of trub going into the fermenter is a bad thing.  The less that goes into the fermenter, the less than can make its way to your bottles/ kegs.  Most of it falls to the bottom of the fermenter, so as long as your careful while racking, you can get some good clean beer into your bottles/ keg. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 07:17:17 am »
I have a funnel with a strainer but I rarely use the screen in the funnel.  My attempts have always lead to the screen plugging within a couple of minutes.  That doesn't make the idea bad, I just haven't had much luck with it.

The books say to remove as much trub as possible as you move to the fermentor.  I often transfer quite a bit of trub (because I tend to rush) but I don't see issues in the finished product.  Removing trub won't hurt your beer but I haven't seen not removing it cause any issues either.

YMMV

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 08:18:31 am »
I'm with Paul on this.  I've pretty much stopped using the strainer and have not noticed any ill effects.

As a plus, transferring is faster.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 11:47:20 am »
I guess this is another reason to use buckets. If I am cold crashing I use nothing. I just drain to my crash bucket and then put it in my freezer at 45 over night, then rack to a fermentor in the morning leaving the crash behind. If not crashing I use a sanitized paint strainer. Its a nylon mesh bag that fits my 6 gallon fermentor. Either way works well for me. I prefer cold crash especially if I plan to reuse yeast. I always get nice clean cake with nearly no trube
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 11:49:07 am by klickitat jim »