Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pacman Yeast  (Read 6263 times)

Offline lecki

• 1st Kit
Pacman Yeast
« on: February 19, 2010, 07:52:01 pm »
I used Wyeast's Pacman strain to make an IPA with an all grain recipe. OG: 1.064 FG 1.016. Tasted real fine before I pitched yeast, but after 1 and half weeks in the fermenter at 62-64 degrees F it turned out with an overpowering diacetyl taste. I'm puzzeled because Wyeast says this strain does not produce any to little diacetyl. I'm going to bring the temp up to mid to upper 60s and hope the residual yeast wipe out the butter flavor. Has anyone else encountered this problem with Pacman?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Pacman Yeast
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 09:35:24 am »
I've used Pacman many times and never gotten diacetyl form it.  Maybe you didn't give the yeast enough time to consume it?  Also, diacetyl can be caused by an infection, but let's not go there for now!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline budweiser

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 08:32:47 am »
I used that yeast exclusively over a few months last year(or was it the year before)...anyway....at the end....I decided I didn't like it....just seemed IMHO that it wasn't neutral enough....the first few beers were ok but after awhile it got kinda weird and fruity-yeasty kinda....maybe it was just my palate or crappy process....whatever the case I have stayed away from it.

I was fermenting in  the mid 60's with it.
You can't have a Real Country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 11:30:46 am »
That's interesting, Bud. Living in OR, I'm sure you've had as much Rogue beer as I have, and I've never noticed that in any of their beers.  Have you?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 09:45:04 pm »
I've been really lucky with yeast lately.  I used Denny's favorite 50 for 5 batches, and they all turned out great.  Now I'm using Pac-man, and it's so awesome.  I made a Porter at pretty low temps (59 degrees ambiant temp) and it turned out great, no diacetyl.
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 04:00:36 pm »
I used PacMan in eight or ten pales, browns and IPAs last year, and found it to be very well behaved. I never had any off flavors or problems of any type with it. In fact, the reason I moved away from it (and WLP-001) is its low ester character.

Charlie (currently evaluating WY-1272)
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 05:14:32 pm »
I haven't used Pacman since I switched to temp-controlling, kegging and all-grain, but I will probably try it again, soon. One thing I noticed, though, was that it was very dry and very flocculant - making it less than ideal for bottling. No diacetyl, though. My guess is that the yeast hadn't finished fermenting. Did you pitch enough?

Offline lecki

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 04:41:52 pm »
I'm pretty sure the batch wasn't finished fermenting yet, because I'm drinking a pint of it now and its real good. Diacetyl's all gone.