Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Sludge question  (Read 2824 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Sludge question
« on: May 26, 2013, 10:44:49 am »
Just racked my second brew and I noticed this time that I may have poured more of the sludge from my kettle into the fermentor. From what I remember hearing you shouldn't add this, how will this affect my beer? Thanks!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Sludge question
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 10:50:47 am »
I think in most beers you wouldn't notice a difference. It will just drop out to the bottom of the fermenter over the first day or so. Unless you are making soething relatively light and clean (like a lager), I wouldn't sweat it.

If you're really worried about it in the future you could let everything settle in the fermenter for a while (prior to pitching yeast), then rack the clear wort into a new fermenter and leaving the trub behind.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: Sludge question
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 07:01:26 am »
You can buy a strainer that fits over your bucket / funnel to keep a good amount of trub (aka 'sludge') out of the fermentor.

Adding Whirlfloc / Irish Moss at the 20 minute mark will help trub settle out.

A whirlpool helps, but if you're picking up the kettle and dumping it out, I doubt its worth the trouble.

Like erockrph said - only matters in lighter flavored beers. I would add that if you're making small batch sizes, reusing the yeast, or leaving the beer in primary for more than 2-3 weeks, straining may be worth considering.

As in all things - RDWHAHB
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/