Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Extract brewing logistics question  (Read 5422 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Extract brewing logistics question
« on: May 25, 2013, 08:52:48 am »
Can fellow extract brewers share best practices and order of the following with me?

-During wort chilling I will mix up starsan in my bottling bucket and add any equipment to this
-I then hook up a hose and let this sanitizer flow into my 6.5 gallon carboy
-I normally then dump this out and begin to fill the cooled wort into the carboy

Anyway to do this quicker or easier? I tend to use my hand to cover the carboy opening while swishing sanitizer around, is this bad?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Extract brewing logistics question
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 09:52:03 am »
I keep a bucket of premixed Star San around (can generally get 3-5 batches out of it). I use this to sanitize my spoons/thieves/funnels/paint strainer bags/etc. I just rack a gallon or so into my bucket or carboy, shake well to coat the inside, then dump it back into the bucket. Using your hand is probably fine to cover the opening (I've done this on many occasions with no issues). Better would to be wearing gloves when you do that (disposable vinyl exam gloves are what I use). Or you could put your bung and airlock in to cover the hole so they get sanitized as well.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 10:19:07 am »
I think these questions pertain to all brewers, not just extract brewers.  My sanitation process is just about the exact same as an all grain brewer as it was when I was doing extract.  I don't see anything wrong with your process, especially if its working for you.

I mix up Star San in a bucket and usually only mix up 2.5 gallons just after the boil has started.  As mentioned above, I then pour about a gallon in a carboy, shake it up and lay it on its side.  Every 10 minutes or so, I'll rotate the carboy to ensure the entire inside surface gets a few minutes of contact w/ Star San.  When I'm ready for the carboy, I pour the sanitizer back into the bucket through my strainer to sanitize the strainer. 

Also, get a spray bottle and put some sanitizing solution in there.  This can come in very handy for many uses.

I can't remember who it was on this board, but I went to Home Depot and picked up a dry wall mud tray.  This tray is perfect to keep utensils in sanitizer while you work. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Extract brewing logistics question
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 10:29:58 am »
I usually have a 6.5 gallon bucket full of star San mix on hand and lasts 3-4 batches easily. On brew day, I too use this to keep utensils and such on had and ready.

When I'm ready to transfer from kettle i pour the mix into the primary, swirl it around and then pour it back into the first bucket to save for the next session.

Always have a spray bottle of sanitizer on hand as well, comes in handy many times. Don't fear the foam! It's harmless:)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 11:51:08 am »
+1 to the spray bottle suggestion. Either fill it from a batch you made, or just make it in the bottle. 1.5 mL of Star San concentrate makes a 1 quart batch of spray.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beer | Metal | No Masters
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 12:01:20 pm »
+1 on the spray bottle on Star San. 

I think your process sounds good. Whatever really works for you.  You might feel less pressure/time crunch if you mix your star san during the boil. 

I have never had a problem with putting my hand over the top of the carboy but have recently just put a bung in there and remembered to re-sanitize the bung.  No issues for me.

Try a couple of different things and just do what works of you.
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline petesbrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 07:33:14 pm »
I think these questions pertain to all brewers, not just extract brewers.  My sanitation process is just about the exact same as an all grain brewer as it was when I was doing extract.  I don't see anything wrong with your process, especially if its working for you.

I mix up Star San in a bucket and usually only mix up 2.5 gallons just after the boil has started.  As mentioned above, I then pour about a gallon in a carboy, shake it up and lay it on its side.  Every 10 minutes or so, I'll rotate the carboy to ensure the entire inside surface gets a few minutes of contact w/ Star San.  When I'm ready for the carboy, I pour the sanitizer back into the bucket through my strainer to sanitize the strainer. 

Also, get a spray bottle and put some sanitizing solution in there.  This can come in very handy for many uses.

I can't remember who it was on this board, but I went to Home Depot and picked up a dry wall mud tray.  This tray is perfect to keep utensils in sanitizer while you work.

I found that wall paper troughs work great for sanitizing purposes of my auto siphon, tubing and aerator (long stir rod).  You don't need as much StarSan since they are long and narrow.  I found mine at a Duron paint store for $3.  They're designed to be disposable but will last a while if treated with care.

Offline sackdeez

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 10:30:56 am »
I use the time from 59 min to 30min left in the boil to get everything sanitized and ready since I usually have no additions during this period.  I purchased a large plastic storage container and fill it with about 1/2 inch of sanitizing solution and spray down the sides and edges with sanitizer.  I use this as my dedicated sanitizing area for the larger items that need to be sanitized.  I use buckets so all I do is spray it inside and out and then place it upside down in the container to drain.  I spray my bucket lid, kettle lid and large strainer and put them in the container also.  This way by the time I am ready to transfer from kettle to bucket everything has had time to sanitize and drip dry.