Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Plastic carboy  (Read 11693 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Plastic carboy
« on: May 25, 2013, 08:56:43 am »
I've seriously considered replacing my glass primary carboy with this.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-equipment/fermenting-equipment/the-bubbler-6-gallon.html

Any downside to this over glass? I have a creeping suspicion that one day the glass carboy will drop, break, and cause a number of issues.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Plastic carboy
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 09:09:04 am »
It looks to be the same type of product as a Better Bottle PET product and IME they work very well with no issues. I do find that being only 6 gallons instead of the 6.5 gallon bucket, head space can be an issue and definitely require a blow off tube!

I've primarily gone to only using buckets as I find them easier to deal with, head space is better and since I dry hop in primary, access is much easier as well as cleaning. I really don't care what my beer looks like fermenting:D
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 09:49:36 am »
It looks to be the same type of product as a Better Bottle PET product and IME they work very well with no issues. I do find that being only 6 gallons instead of the 6.5 gallon bucket, head space can be an issue and definitely require a blow off tube!

I've primarily gone to only using buckets as I find them easier to deal with, head space is better and since I dry hop in primary, access is much easier as well as cleaning. I really don't care what my beer looks like fermenting:D

+1 on the size deficiency, at least for use  as a primary...for that purpose, 6.5 or 7gal would be much more useful. I use a 7 gal carboy and a blowoff tube has never been necessary.
As others will undoubtedly state. a bucket is the simplest solution. 
Really, I only continue using the carboy because I'm a stubborn bastard.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Plastic carboy
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 09:58:06 am »

Which buckets are you using?

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Plastic carboy
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 10:33:16 am »

Which buckets are you using?

I use 6.5 gallon Ale Pails and true Blue pails that I get from my LHBS, $16.00 with a pre-drilled lid.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 11:37:52 am »
Buckets! I don't own a carboy

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 12:44:38 pm »
Brewer's Best wine fermenter buckets.  They're just under 8 gallons, which lets me stay in plastic and not be limited by the size of Better Bottles. They're pre-drilled too, and I get them for under $20.  I use Better Bottles for long term secondary on occasion for RIS, Barleywine, etc.
Jon H.

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 09:33:58 am »
In my opinion, the downside of the plastic carboy is cleaning it. I've had gunk that wouldn't come off after 24 hour soakings with PBW. A brush really isn't an option due to scratch potential.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 05:30:27 am »
 I started out using a bucket.
Then moved to a glass carboy, till it broke.
Then bought a couple Better Bottles. I have been using them for a few years and they do work just fine.
Recently I bought a bucket, because I wanted an easy way to top crop yeast, and might start using them for all my beers.
They are inexpensive, easy to clean, easy to move around, and easy to add dry hops or top crop yeast.

Dan S. from NJ

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 08:16:33 am »
I've used Better Bottles for years and they are all I use these days.  I got rid of all my glass carboys last summer after one cracked with my kids nearby.

You do need to use care in cleaning them.  I put an old sock on a bottle brush so that I don't scratch them but I've found most gunk will come off with a good long soak.

I've never really used buckets, but I can see where they'd be convenient.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 08:50:39 am »
Another Better Bottle fan here.  Extended soak tends to clean everything out for me.  I also have a keg/carboy washer that I built for those really stubborn stains.  I have mostly 6 gallon BB but do have a couple 5 gallon ones (from my silly secondary days), which did come in handy for mead and cider aging.

I always use a blowoff tube so the headspace issue doesn't affect me much.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 09:23:05 am »
I just started using these Speidel fermenters and they are great.  http://morebeer.com/products/speidel-plastic-fermenter-30l-79-gal.html?site_id=9

They are hard plastic with handles built onto the sides.  At just under 8 gallons, I have plenty of head space.  The wide opening makes cleaning a lot easier than regular carboys.  The spigot valve makes racking a breeze.  They are a little pricey compared to regular carboys, but well worth the money in my opinion. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beer | Metal | No Masters
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 09:55:18 am »
I just started using these Speidel fermenters and they are great.  http://morebeer.com/products/speidel-plastic-fermenter-30l-79-gal.html?site_id=9

They are hard plastic with handles built onto the sides.  At just under 8 gallons, I have plenty of head space.  The wide opening makes cleaning a lot easier than regular carboys.  The spigot valve makes racking a breeze.  They are a little pricey compared to regular carboys, but well worth the money in my opinion.

Wow! Those look awesome.  I am going to have to look into those.  Thanks for sharing.
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 11:32:11 am »
I fell in love with Cambro buckets. I paid $12 each but just found them on line for $9.70

http://m.webstaurantstore.com/cambro-rfs22pp-190-22-qt-round-storage-container-translucent/214RFS22PP.htm

I drill a 1" hole for my spigot and 5/8" for my airlock or blowoff

Sturdy, foodgrade, easy clean, plenty of head space, marked for volume, see through enough you can watch your sea monkeys lol

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 05:22:43 pm »
Bumping this again to see if anyone will reply. After my last brew (only my second) I think I'm done with the glass carboys. The danger and weight is enough to give them up.

Is anyone using a plastic fermentor that doesn't hold in odors after cleaning?