Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Plastic carboy  (Read 11692 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Plastic carboy
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2013, 10:41:09 am »
Hmm they dont mention if the Spiedels are made out of PET plastic.  Thats a concern

They are made out of HDPE.  Don't ask me what that means though.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2013, 10:56:46 am »
I use buckets myself but I see a lot of folks bemoaning the sucking airlock. I just wanted to point out that if you use the 1 piece airlocks (S shaped ones) this is not a concern as it will just bubble backwards.
+1
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2013, 07:13:07 am »
If all it is is sanitizer in your airlock, I don't see the big deal. I'd rather have sanitizer sucked back than air.
Jesse

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2013, 08:39:23 am »
If all it is is sanitizer in your airlock, I don't see the big deal. I'd rather have sanitizer sucked back than air.

well you get the air either way. just with the three piece you get the sanitizer and then the air.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bunderbunder

• Cellarman
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2013, 09:43:36 am »
Hmm they dont mention if the Spiedels are made out of PET plastic.  Thats a concern

It means that it'll let gas through.  If you need a good degree of gas/oxygen impermeability then PET is the way to go.

As far as the airlock sucking when you lift a plastic carboy, I deal with that by just replacing the drilled stopper with a solid one before picking it up.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 09:45:44 am by bunderbunder »

Offline aschecte

• Cellarman
  • Don't worry I'll drink it !!
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2013, 03:03:24 pm »

It means that it'll let gas through.  If you need a good degree of gas/oxygen impermeability then PET is the way to go.

As far as the airlock sucking when you lift a plastic carboy, I deal with that by just replacing the drilled stopper with a solid one before picking it up.
I like your idea of the solid bung stopper to pick it up but, for ease I promise a 6 gallon better bottle fits great in a milk crate and serves the same purpose of preventing suck back...... there should be a poll how many better bottle user use the milk crate method I bet the percentage would be pretty high.
don't worry I'll drink it !!

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2013, 06:16:46 pm »
It says "HDPE" in description.
PET would be like pop bottle.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2013, 08:58:41 pm »
It says "HDPE" in description.
PET would be like pop bottle.

Yeah i saw that too, after reading about plastics online HDPE isnt necessarily food safe, it depends on the type of release agent they use
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline bunderbunder

• Cellarman
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2013, 07:27:49 am »
Since it's being sold specifically for food production, I imagine it's a pretty safe bet that it's food-safe.