Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pump Selection  (Read 4984 times)

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
Pump Selection
« on: May 26, 2013, 07:36:57 am »
Been toying with the idea of getting a pump to transfer water from HLT to MLT because I want to change my setup. Any suggestions on a good, reasonably priced pump for this?
Trey W.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
Re: Pump Selection
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 08:41:02 am »
Most Homebrewers use March pump. Check homebrew shop for pricing.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 09:16:55 am »
Most Homebrewers use March pump. Check homebrew shop for pricing.

By far the most popular. What I bought. Consider buying some food-grade silicone tubing as well!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
Pump Selection
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 11:17:23 am »
I see NB has an 809 and 815. Would the 809 be sufficient? Also, is the flow controllable, or is it wide open when it runs?
Trey W.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 11:29:59 am »
Check out the Chugger pump. Seems to be the same pump and motor as the March but it has a stainless pump head for the price of a plastic one from March.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 12:14:26 pm »
I recently got the Chugger Pump w/ the stainles steel head.  Works great and was a few $$ cheaper than the March Pump. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 02:13:29 pm »
I see NB has an 809 and 815. Would the 809 be sufficient? Also, is the flow controllable, or is it wide open when it runs?
They are the same pumps with different impellers.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 10:09:16 pm »
You need to throttle the outlet with a ball valve.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
Pump Selection
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 07:19:41 am »

Even though it says not to restrict the outflow side?
Trey W.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 07:40:52 am »

I'm not sure about March Pumps, but my Chugger Pump states not to restrict flow to the inflow.  I've attached a ball valve on the outflow.  When I was researching pumps, this is how most (March and Chugger Pumps) people have theirs set up. 

I also recommend some cam fittings, they make it easy to change and remove your lines to the pump/ ball valve.  I got mine at my LHBS but check our Bargainfittings.com, I've gotten a few items from them.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
Pump Selection
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 08:08:01 am »

I'm not sure about March Pumps, but my Chugger Pump states not to restrict flow to the inflow.  I've attached a ball valve on the outflow.  When I was researching pumps, this is how most (March and Chugger Pumps) people have theirs set up. 

I also recommend some cam fittings, they make it easy to change and remove your lines to the pump/ ball valve.  I got mine at my LHBS but check our Bargainfittings.com, I've gotten a few items from them.

I misread. It said not to restrict flow, only on the output side. That makes sense since you have to prime it.
Trey W.

Offline dean_palmer

• Cellarman
    • The Beer Journals
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 01:19:21 pm »
I have the March 809 with the 815 impeller and I've never buy the 809 again. What a huge difference in priming and flow after upgrading the impeller!

I also have a Chugger stainless head with the larger impeller. I think they come with an impeller almost the size of the March 815, and the impellers are interchangeable between brands as well as I've done it.

The March 809 although becoming a standard is clearly not the best for our hobby. The 815 or Chugger works better than the 809, and the center input model with the larger (3/4"?) input I've seen work even better, and would be the one I'd buy next if I needed another pump.

My installations are textbook proper per the manufacturers so the only variable has been the impellers. Don't buy the 809 if at all possible.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Pump Selection
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 02:15:34 pm »
I have the March 809 with the 815 impeller and I've never buy the 809 again. What a huge difference in priming and flow after upgrading the impeller!

I also have a Chugger stainless head with the larger impeller. I think they come with an impeller almost the size of the March 815, and the impellers are interchangeable between brands as well as I've done it.

The March 809 although becoming a standard is clearly not the best for our hobby. The 815 or Chugger works better than the 809, and the center input model with the larger (3/4"?) input I've seen work even better, and would be the one I'd buy next if I needed another pump.

My installations are textbook proper per the manufacturers so the only variable has been the impellers. Don't buy the 809 if at all possible.

I just got the 815 impeller for my 809but I haven't had time to install it yet.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
Pump Selection
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 02:29:21 pm »
I bought the chugger. I'll let you know how it works for us. I also decided to buy a Blichmann Plate chiller as well. What tha hell!
Trey W.

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 03:56:45 pm »

me too!  The impeller upgrade makes a huge difference.

So the impeller in the Chugger is small as well?  Does the chugger ss head fit on the March pump?
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...