Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA  (Read 14998 times)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 10:54:47 am »
Thanks for the recipe Jeff! Wow, that is a pretty intense dry hop schedule,  seems like a lot of good beer could be lost if you weren't careful.  What is your dry hop method?
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 11:01:43 am »
Weird.  I think it's an excellent beer, I like it a lot.  I think it's nearly as good as Pliny.

The Union Jack is OK, but it's the Double Jack that I really Love.  Great stuff. 
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 11:11:57 am »
Those soaked up some for sure.  I recommend listening to the podcast for deeper insights to the beer.

One thing I did not have on there is the first listing of Cascade/Centennial are were in for 7 days.  Then the last round including the Simcoe/Amarillo went in.  I put a fine mesh nylon bag that has been boiled over the racking cane as a filter when racking.   The whole/pellet hops are free in the carboy.  Once the hops are no longer floating, I slow the racking rate to allow the beer time to flow through the hop bed.  Helps get some more of the beer out of the hops.

The Knockout addition is pretty big, and on of the keys to this beer is a long whirlpool.  I recirc. using the March pump, and stir on occasion for 45 minutes.  The temp is about 175F at the end so I am not worried about infections.  Then chill as normal from there.  This also helps to get the bitterness up.

I looked at some of the online specs for the beer and it finishes about 1.014.  A little higher than Pliny the Elder, but there is no sugar in this beer.

Had Double Jack the last time we were in Chicago, and I have to say that is another good one from Matt.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2011, 07:01:52 pm »
I really like the Pale 31.  Honest, solid, drinkable APA. 
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2011, 08:15:42 pm »
We stopped by the brewery in Paso last April 2010.  The whole lineup was very solid.  The Firestone Union system looks to be a lot of work.  The DBA and Pale 31 make the Union worth the work.  Matt is one heck of a brewer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 08:06:55 am »
another sampling from the distributor.  i really enjoyed this beer.  i thought the hops were appropriate. i did not notice the residual sweetness that someone above mentioned. 
Don AHA member

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 08:38:27 am »
I have liked all the FW beers that I've had.  I wish they were available locally.

+1
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline cheshirecat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2013, 10:21:56 am »
Firestone is one of my favorites, love Union Jack. Always felt that style wise it was somewhere between an American and English IPA. DBA is my favorite from them though, really love that beer. I go down to the brewery every couple months or so and they often have an unfiltered DBA that they only serve at the brewery. The Double DBA which they came out with last year is also fantastic.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 10:51:17 am »
Love the Union, Double AND Wookey Jacks. Great beer by FW. There is some sweetness to the UJ, but I think it's balanced by the intense hopping and bittering. Double Jack is one of my favorite IIPAs.
Ron Price

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2013, 10:51:36 am »
Union Jack is my hands-down favorite American IPA.

That said - it is a pretty big disappointment when its not fresh. I can get it when I'm in St. Louis, and I've found a few stores who keep it cold and go through it fast. If its warm and >2 months old, I pass it by.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2013, 11:52:41 am »

That said - it is a pretty big disappointment when its not fresh. I can get it when I'm in St. Louis, and I've found a few stores who keep it cold and go through it fast. If its warm and >2 months old, I pass it by.

That explains why I didn't like it. We recently started getting FW distributed out my way in the past few years, and I had heard a lot of good things about Union Jack, but it was pretty blah when I tried it. We have quite a few stores with a wide selection of craft beer around here, but the wide selection comes at the expense of freshness. I'd like to try it again if I was sure it was in top condition. Judging by the grain bill, it looks like my kind of IPA.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2013, 12:15:26 pm »

That explains why I didn't like it. We recently started getting FW distributed out my way in the past few years, and I had heard a lot of good things about Union Jack, but it was pretty blah when I tried it. We have quite a few stores with a wide selection of craft beer around here, but the wide selection comes at the expense of freshness. I'd like to try it again if I was sure it was in top condition. Judging by the grain bill, it looks like my kind of IPA.
+1.  The 1st time I tried it, I wasn't impressed - it was ~ 2 months old IIRC.  Took a trip out west later on and got it fresh and it blew me away. I think FW and Alpine make maybe the 2 best AIPAs.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2013, 12:58:28 pm »
Double Jack is my favorite imperial

"REMEMBER: Watch for bottled on dates located on the necks or bottom left corner of the label for each of our beers.  Our beer is not pasteurized, so it is best when stored at 44F or below, out of light and within 120 days of the bottled on date...this ensures freshness and ultimately a great Firestone Walker beer!"
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 01:02:14 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2013, 04:42:42 am »
I just had a bottle of double jack night that I found in the beer fridge that I didn't even realize I had.  It's been in my fridge for about three months and was bottled in December.  I thought it was probably going to be overly sweet and oxidized but when I cracked it open I was pleasantly surprised.  Really nice flavor with a good balance of bitterness and residual sweetness.  I had no problem finishing the bomber.  I'll definitely buy another one.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2013, 06:00:08 am »
The six-pack of Honkers I got two weeks ago was bottled on April 12.  Pretty darned fresh.
Should I feel guilty for enjoying an Inbev product?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995