Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rousting Yeast  (Read 2139 times)

Offline harbicide

• Cellarman
  • Barkeeper's Friend will not passivate stainless.
Rousting Yeast
« on: May 28, 2013, 10:31:20 am »
Two weeks ago I used my new upright freezer for the first time on a 14 gallon batch of lager.  I pitched a decanted 3 gallon starter of WL830 (that was grown on a stir plate) at 70F and went to bed.  The next morning the wort was 46F.  I then went out of town for the next 4 days.  When I returned the temp was 50F.  I again left town and when I returned two days ago the temp was still 50F but the gravity had only come down from 1.064 to 1.030.  I have let the temp rise to 58F.  While I was expecting a greater reduction in gravity, would it be advisable to now roust the precipitated yeast either by stirring or by bubbling CO2 up through my bottom dump valve?
On Tap: 10 yr old Barleywine, Porter, Vienna Lager

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Rousting Yeast
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 11:08:30 am »
I don't think it would hurt anything. since you have a conical, and I assume co2, I would try bubbling the co2 through the dump valve and see what happens. you might want to get a big active starter going to, just in case.

Or perhaps perform a forced/fast ferment test and make sure there is not a problem with the fermentability of the wort.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Rousting Yeast
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 11:28:05 am »
I would rouse the yeast and raise into the mid 60's for a D-rest, let it finish , rack off the yeast and then proceed to lager it
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline harbicide

• Cellarman
  • Barkeeper's Friend will not passivate stainless.
Re: Rousting Yeast
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 08:56:33 pm »
Seems to have worked as well as I could expect.  Gravity is now 1.018, so time to lager.
On Tap: 10 yr old Barleywine, Porter, Vienna Lager