Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How to Siphon Beer  (Read 12895 times)

Offline mikebiewer

• Cellarman
    • Mike's Brew Review
How to Siphon Beer
« on: March 04, 2010, 09:43:53 pm »
I know there are many ways to do this, but when I first started brewing I did it manually. After I realized that was a huge pain in the butt, I moved on to carboy cap. That didn't turn out as well as I liked so I moved on to the auto siphon.

For $10 I solved my problem and minimize the amount of time my beer is exposed to the possibility of being infected.

Some of the new brewers may walk the same path so I decided to make an article that goes through all the ways I tried siphoning and what worked and didn't work.

How to Siphon Beer

What methods do you guys use?

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
Re: How to Siphon Beer
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 11:15:20 pm »
My autosiphon just went tango uniform. I love the design, but they are some flimsy junk.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 12:55:23 am »
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 04:49:57 am »
This is how I do it.

http://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/racking-co2

I basically do the same thing but I just use the CO2 to get the siphon started
and I don't have the fittings. I just hold the gas line up to the carboy cap till
the siphon starts. I stick a cotton ball soaked in alcohol in an air lock and put that
in the carboy cap to act as an air filter, I don't know if it actually filters anything but it
makes me feel better.
Dan S. from NJ

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 05:09:44 am »
The "easy-siphon" is just that.  For the price, it takes out a lot of the mess.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
Just brew it...

Offline zee

• Cellarman
    • masholes.org
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 07:53:18 am »
i do it very similarly, only i don't use co2. i use a sterile filter and i blow into that. additionally on the keg end, i have a ball lock hooked up to the beer out, so i can rack straight to the bottom of the keg. no splashing.

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 08:12:33 am »
The use of pressured CO2 scares me. There is nothing that makes sure the pressure does not exceed 3-5 psi except the operator looking at the gauge and in my case I don't want to rely on that.

I use a racking cane and hose. The siphon gets started with the turkey baster I use for sampling.

Kai

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 08:24:35 am »

This is how I do it.

http://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/racking-co2

Been CO2 force racking like that for years. No lifting full carboys, vessels can be side by side. It's the shizzle! I use a barb to barb adapter(no clamps needed, LOW pressures) to connect the gas line to the carboy cap, simple! I only use enough pressure to move the beer, it may take 5-10 mins. What's the rush? Purge the receiving vessel with CO2 and your precious beer never sees O2.  :)
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline bspisak

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 10:33:10 am »
I've been wanting to set up a C02 push system and really like the flare fitting screwed into the carboy hood.  Nice!

On the keg side, why not just use a standard keg fitting and hook up the beer line from the carboy to the OUT side of the keg? You can vent the keg either by removing the top, loosening the IN side, or simply using an IN fitting with no line attached.

Brian

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 10:41:52 am »
I never did the full keg hookup for a few reasons
  • Back pressure - it's a helluva lot easier for that little poppet space to get clogged with random material (think hop bits) and that could cause the pressure to build up
  • More fiddly bits to ensure are completely sanitized - actually the biggest reason.

Of course nowadays, I brew in a garage and most of my beer ferments in a couple of 10g cornies, so... pressure racking all the way.

And Kai, regarding the pressure - I swapped out my standard regulator gauges with a more accurate low pressure gauge. At ~3.5 psi, those carboy caps will pop off the bottle, so it hasn't been that much of a worry so far.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 12:44:03 pm »
There is definitely some advantages to this process.

How much pressure is required to force the beer (5 gallon carboy) up through the siphon rod and into a keg and is that enough pressure to be worried about the carboy or cap blowing up or off ?   In other words, is that pressure within the safe operating limits of this system?

My bet is Kai will calculate this for us.  ::)
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 01:10:30 pm »
What's wrong with me?  I have no problem siphoning with tubing and a racking cane by filling them with water to start the siphon.  Am I a Luddite?  :)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 01:13:22 pm »
What's wrong with me?  I have no problem siphoning with tubing and a racking cane by filling them with water to start the siphon.  Am I a Luddite?  :)

Maybe cause I have to use Star-San  ;D

Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 01:20:53 pm »

I'm right there with you.  Although I use the hydrometer sample instead of water.
Joe