Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How to Siphon Beer  (Read 12836 times)

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
Re: How to Siphon Beer
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 01:23:58 pm »
What's wrong with me?  I have no problem siphoning with tubing and a racking cane by filling them with water to start the siphon.  Am I a Luddite?  :)

+1

Thanks Denny, I was beginning to wonder if it was me being a relative noob that I've never had this problem before.  My racking cane works quite nicely!
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 01:27:42 pm »
What's wrong with me?  I have no problem siphoning with tubing and a racking cane by filling them with water to start the siphon.  Am I a Luddite?  :)

Maybe cause I have to use Star-San  ;D

I can still remember how nervous I was years ago the first time I filled the siphon with tap water.  Was the beer going to be ruined?  I decided there was only way to know, and I've been winning that bet for 12 years so far!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 01:28:35 pm »
I currently use an auto-siphon which works well but with Drew's system I like the idea of not moving the carboy and minimizing the beer's exposure to O2.
Ron Price

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 01:31:43 pm »
I currently use an auto-siphon which works well but with Drew's system I like the idea of not moving the carboy and minimizing the beer's exposure to O2.

The not moving it part is definitely the main reason I do it. I started doing it because I just didn't have anywhere high enough to set the carboys for settling and I really hated a) the danger of moving a full carboy - again b) stirring up sediment that had settled.. So, on with the CO2. It also helped that until 2 months ago I got free CO2!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 01:47:55 pm »
Hi Mike,

When you write up your how-to about siphoning, would you consider adding the procedure to the Homebrewopedia?

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/Procedures

You'll have to be registered with the wiki (although you can use the same registration as you have for the AHA Forum) in order to submit information.  If you're unfamiliar with wikis, you should read the instructions on how to add information.  It will be great to have this procedure on the wiki!  Thanks.

Cheers,
   Janis Gross
   AHA Project Coordinator
   National Homebrew Competition Director
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 02:35:27 pm »
I also fill the hose with liquid by using my sanitizer solution. I just pull it out of the bucket and pinch one end to keep it in place. One trick I use is to siphon over the open door of the dishwasher. Place a pot under the door to support weight and siphon into whatever on the open door. I let the sanitizer run out into the dishwasher until I get beer and then continue as normal. Cleanup is a snap. Just close the door.

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 04:26:48 pm »
I also fill the hose with liquid by using my sanitizer solution. I just pull it out of the bucket and pinch one end to keep it in place. One trick I use is to siphon over the open door of the dishwasher. Place a pot under the door to support weight and siphon into whatever on the open door. I let the sanitizer run out into the dishwasher until I get beer and then continue as normal. Cleanup is a snap. Just close the door.

Thats about what I do
I get the siphin started then let it run into a cup , once the hose is filled I put the hose end back in the bucket I store the star-san in and let it sit a minute.
When I rack in the basement I just use two containers
One gets the sanitizer/funky first bit of beer-yeast
One gets the hydro-sample then its off to the secondary, bottling bucket or keg

Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2010, 07:11:43 am »
I never did the full keg hookup for a few reasons
  • Back pressure - it's a helluva lot easier for that little poppet space to get clogged with random material (think hop bits) and that could cause the pressure to build up
  • More fiddly bits to ensure are completely sanitized - actually the biggest reason.

+1
 Did the full keg hookup a couple of times and quit for those reasons.

What's wrong with me?  I have no problem siphoning with tubing and a racking cane by filling them with water to start the siphon.  Am I a Luddite?  :)

Nothing. Aspiring.  ;D

« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 12:35:08 pm by maxieboy »
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 05:56:06 am »

I'm right there with you.  Although I use the hydrometer sample instead of water.

I usually drink my hydro sample :D and use star-san for the siphon.

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2010, 06:25:34 am »
I use a carboy cap almost exclusively now for over a year, I've never had the siphon lost when using a carboy cap, I set the bottom of the racking cane so it is about 1/2 an inch above the yeast cake and use a wedge under one side of the carboy.  Once the siphon is started there is no reason to move the cane so you shouldn't lose the siphon and as far as I can tell thats the only way the siphon could be lost.  Works great for me.  On the other hand, I have had auto-siphons (2 now) that the seal went bad in.  I liked them but after two... nah.  I don't like filling a racking cane and 5 or more feet of tubing with water etc... its a pita making sure it doesn't have any pockets of air.   :D

Offline zee

• Cellarman
    • masholes.org
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2010, 08:16:35 am »
I never did the full keg hookup for a few reasons
  • Back pressure - it's a helluva lot easier for that little poppet space to get clogged with random material (think hop bits) and that could cause the pressure to build up
  • More fiddly bits to ensure are completely sanitized - actually the biggest reason.

that's actually why i don't use co2 pressure and just let the carboy suck air through a sterile filter. i figure the co2 from fermentation will stay on top of the beer and filtered air from the basement will ride on the co2 minimizing any o2 contact with the beer. but this way if something gets clogged [which it never has] i don't have a back pressure problem. the siphon simply stops.

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2010, 09:10:52 am »
Now that I'm intrigued by this I'm browsing McMaster-Carr to see if there's a cheap & easy way to make a siphon starter that will work on any size carboy or bucket and does not render the whole racking assembly inoperable if the siphon starter bits fail. I'll post back if I come up with anything.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2010, 09:59:39 am »
Racking cane, tubing, turkey baster...
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2010, 10:08:40 am »
Vodka gargle and then suck,
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline zee

• Cellarman
    • masholes.org
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2010, 10:11:58 am »
whoo. this thread is getting sexay.  ;D