Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How to Siphon Beer  (Read 12837 times)

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
Re: How to Siphon Beer
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2010, 11:16:40 am »
Racking cane, tubing, turkey baster...

I'm thinking more gizmodic and cooler than that. They have the cheap bellows-style siphon pumps for $5, but where's the fun in that?
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2010, 12:24:56 pm »
I've always used an auto-siphon, I dig it.
Jesse

Offline makemehoppy

• Cellarman
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2010, 12:47:31 pm »
I used to use a thief to get a hydro sample and an autosiphon for the transfer. Now I just stick my autosiphon in without tubing and pump a couple times to squirt my hydro sample into a test jar. Then I attach a sanitized hose to the autosiphon and one more pump for the transfer. This saves me steralizing the thief and hydrometer.

Offline mikebiewer

• Cellarman
    • Mike's Brew Review
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2010, 09:02:11 pm »
Wow thanks guys.

The response is awesome!

I've been hearing a lot about using the kegging system and CO2 to push the beer over. That sounds like one of the best and most logical ideas. Unfortunately I don't have the space for a kegging system so I'm forced to continue to rack beer from one place to another. At least, for now that is.

I suppose at some point I'll move up in the world and get into the kegging portion of all this. I just like the idea that I can drink my beer sooner! However, there are some brews I just like to age in bottles.

I would have to agree that the autosiphon is cheap and easily breakable, but for the 10 bucks I spent on it, I feel it is completely worth it. For some reason I kept losing my siphons. I even used pipe clamps to clamp down where the racking cane goes into the tubing in hopes of preventing leaks. Obviously to no avail.

I still think I've got a leak, and I'm working on getting that fixed. Until then though, I like that if I lose my siphon its easy to start back up without taking things out of the beer and refilling them up and such.

Thanks for all the responses.

*Janis-I'll look into the Wiki! Thanks!*

Offline makemehoppy

• Cellarman
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2010, 07:24:38 am »
If you are losing your siphon try a smaller diameter tubing. I don't know the dimensions, but I had the same problem with tubing that easily fit on the autosiphon and no problems at all with the tubing that just fits on.

Offline zee

• Cellarman
    • masholes.org
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2010, 07:53:21 am »
as i said before, i use a similar setup to drew, but without the co2. i think pressurizing a carboy is unnecessary. i use this:

http://morebeer.com/view_product/18872//Sterile_Siphon_Starter_-_For_5_and_6_Gallon_Carboys

and this is how easy it is:

http://morebeer.com/public/video/siphonstartweb.mov

Offline bspisak

• Cellarman
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2010, 09:37:58 am »
i think pressurizing a carboy is unnecessary.

It is if you're pushing beer "up hill".   ;)

The best thing about a co2 push system is not having to disturb the carboy to get the beer out of the freezer and into a keg. Especially if you've just spent 3 months lagering it.

Offline zee

• Cellarman
    • masholes.org
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2010, 09:49:46 am »
yes, thats true, but also why i try to ferment on racks so that when it comes time to rack to the keg i don't have to move it. i'm in the process of building a walk in refrigerator so that i can lager there too.  ;D

Offline rajraju

• 1st Kit
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2010, 08:30:22 am »
Flawless time after time after time...........http://www.amazon.com/Super-Siphon-Hose-TWO-16-95/dp/B000ZORJ1E

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2010, 08:02:34 am »
Flawless time after time after time...........http://www.amazon.com/Super-Siphon-Hose-TWO-16-95/dp/B000ZORJ1E

I bought one of these a few years ago, it was the fastest transfer I've ever seen... I can't remember exactly how long it took, I'm guessing it would have taken maybe a minute to transfer five gallons from carboy to keg but I pinched the tube to slow it down.   :o  The reason I quit using it was because I wasn't sure the tubing was food grade and might transfer flavors into the beer?  It is the easiest and fastest siphon I've ever used that is for sure!   I might try using it on one batch again to see if it picks up any flavors or not.

brewboy

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2010, 08:04:52 am »
I just used one of those  the other night to drain some cornys I was cleaning. It is fast. I've also used it for beer and never tasted any off flavors. It moves the liquid so fast, I doubt that it would have time to pick up and flavors.  ;D

They sure do start easy.

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2010, 08:11:14 am »
It would only be good for going from a fermenter to secondary fementer or keg flooded with Co2 though.... its That Fast.  It would probably work very well for transferring chilled wort into a fermenter if a screen was on the end to keep trub out.  You sure wouldn't want to try bottling with it.   :o   :D
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 08:14:22 am by dean »

Offline beerrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2010, 11:51:47 am »
In the past I've used the autosiphon, star san in tubing, vodka/suck, and CO2 for racking.

I've settled on using a simple racking cane, tubing and using using the pump from my star san spray bottle to get it going:

brewboy

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2010, 12:20:36 pm »
Nice idea. I've thought about coming up with a nozzle to attach to my CO2 bottle and shoot air across the end of the tube to develop a vacuum, but I've never tried it.

Offline mikebiewer

• Cellarman
    • Mike's Brew Review
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2010, 10:20:05 pm »
Interesting.

I've seen those copper siphon starter fittings before. That is one option I have yet to explore.

I think that squirt bottle head attached to the hose and racking cane is a great idea. That my friend is awesome. I may give that one a whirl.

Great responses guys. These are all entertaining and informative!

Thanks!