Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How to Siphon Beer  (Read 12853 times)

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
Re: How to Siphon Beer
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2010, 09:38:47 pm »
Auto Siphon here.  It's reliable and pretty much idiot-proof - goodness knows I've done my best to debunk this claim!  :-[ ;)
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline mikebiewer

• Cellarman
    • Mike's Brew Review
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2010, 12:20:25 pm »
I love my auto siphon as well.

However, I've been reading about using two bottling buckets. Instead of siphoning, you just move beer over through the spigot and a tube. That sounds like it could be even easier. I have a hard time with it though. I just don't trust the seal on the spigot. Or it something will happen and break it off.

Anyone do it this way? I see a couple starter kits out there that do.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2010, 12:34:26 pm »
What's wrong with me?  I have no problem siphoning with tubing and a racking cane by filling them with water to start the siphon.  Am I a Luddite?  :)

I have done it that way, just flush the lines with beer and off you go.

Another way is to use some plastic tubing from a bottling wand or a boken racking cane.  Sanitize it and insert into the vinyl tubing after that and your racking cane are in the beer.  Exhale, give a good suck on the plasic tube, get the beer flowing, and pull the hard tube out, procede as with the other method(s).  Your mouth never gets near the vinyl tube.  I learned this one from Jeff Renner.

All of the stuff to do the CO2 method has been bought, but I have not done it yet.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline bearcat

• Cellarman
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2010, 08:59:42 am »
one more that I haven't seen yet :  ... in the carboy cap inserting that white micron air filter (one NB sells with the aeration system) and giving a little puff.  Works well for gravity situations, but I still use C02 instead of lifting those carboys out of the temp. controlled freezer.

Enjoyed the site Mike.