Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bine Culling  (Read 4289 times)

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Bine Culling
« on: May 13, 2013, 01:11:11 pm »
SO this is my first year growing hops.  is it advisable to pick a few(if so how many) solid bines on one plant or should i just let it go hog wild with as many as it can throw up?

Thanks
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: Bine Culling
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 01:21:03 pm »
My first year also.  I've been told by several others to pick the 2-3 best shoots and cut the rest. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 01:22:21 pm »
yeah i was assuming 1-3.  but i figured id ask the experts to chime in:)
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 02:01:04 pm »
For the first year or two I'd just let them go wild.  Let the root systems get well established before you start worrying about culling.  If you are determined to just have 3 get ready for a summer of pulling bines because they never stop coming out of the ground.
The 3 bine limit is for mechanical harvesting, for us handpickers it doesn't really apply. 
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 02:20:48 pm »
will we get as good of a harvest with a wold grow as we would with a more focused grow?

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 02:38:53 pm »
Don't expect much the first 2 years anyway so that's why I said to just let them grow for the first 2 years.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico