Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Belgium Rolle Bolle  (Read 6098 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
New Belgium Rolle Bolle
« on: April 21, 2013, 08:46:15 am »
I bought some of this and then found out it has fruit in it. I wasn't looking forward to trying it after that but when I did I was pleasantly surprised.

It is a light Belgium Ale. It pours light in color and extremely clear. Very nice white head. I didn't notice much aroma. The taste was very clean and balanced. I honestly did not detect the soursop in it. The Cascade and Centennial hops did have a presence but it was subtle.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I would rate this beer as delicious and refreshing.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: New Belgium Rolle Bolle
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 09:05:03 am »
I love the rating scale tease lol

"Friends don't let friends drink bad beer"

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 03:39:25 pm »
I tried this over the weekend. I have never had monk fruit or soursop but didn't notice many unique flavors that I thought these would contribute to. I suppose the flavor combos with the hops may be complimented by the fruit. Overall I thought it was decent but need to try it again.

I wish that the seasonals, especially from them, would stay the same for more than a year or two. I personally like the anticipation of a good seasonal instead of ones that are continually changing. I used to love their old spring seasonal Mighty Arrow and every once since it has been a bit of a disappointment to me.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

narvin

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 05:43:09 pm »
Tasted like a pale ale.  Not bad, but I couldn't identify it as a fruit beer (which is fine by me).

Soursop is like a durian but less stinky.  Very creamy milky flesh with some citrus flavor.  The consistency doesn't seem like something I'd want to put in my beer.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 09:22:20 am »
I wish that the seasonals, especially from them, would stay the same for more than a year or two. I personally like the anticipation of a good seasonal instead of ones that are continually changing. I used to love their old spring seasonal Mighty Arrow and every once since it has been a bit of a disappointment to me.

Agreed re: Mighty Arrow. I thought the monkfruit and soursop were just vaguely "fruity" in this beer. Not very distinct. Maybe more of a gimmick than anything else.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 09:39:55 am »

I agree regarding their seasonals, but understand why they would want to rotate them.  I really liked their winter seasonal 2 Below, but they haven't brewed that for a few years now.  Snow Day is good, but 2 Below was much better in my opinion.

Rolle Bolle is good.  My wife liked it more than I did, but she is in love with Dry Dock's Apricot Ale, so I don't think we'll be buying any Rolle Bolle anytime soon.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 11:17:44 am »

I agree regarding their seasonals, but understand why they would want to rotate them.  I really liked their winter seasonal 2 Below, but they haven't brewed that for a few years now.  Snow Day is good, but 2 Below was much better in my opinion.

Rolle Bolle is good.  My wife liked it more than I did, but she is in love with Dry Dock's Apricot Ale, so I don't think we'll be buying any Rolle Bolle anytime soon.

I have had this a few more times and it has grown on me. Nothing amazing but still a good beer. I don't get any impact from the Monkfruit and Soursop though. My two favorite summer seasonals from last year were Widmer Citra Blonde and Bridgeport Summer Squeeze.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 03:36:11 pm »
I had a glass at a local pub a few weeks ago.  I didn't know it was fruited, but it is a pleasant drinking, light beer.  Its not very memorable, but I'd have another.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 05:47:44 pm »
Drank through a 6 pack of these with a helper and I thought it was pretty damn good. Not sure why they bothered with such esoteric fruit, but overall just a nice session beer that didn't have that weird New Belgium flavor that I don't like.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
New Belgium Rolle Bolle
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 06:32:42 pm »
I sampled this at a beer tasting and found it to a nice pleasant beer for a hot summer day, nothing special but a great, easy drinker
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 03:14:44 pm »
I bought a six out of boredom. I think the monk fruit and soursop are ingenious adjuncts for this particular style. I could almost taste the Martha Stewart ingredients thesaurus in the background. I liked it enough that I now have to come up with my own existential sounding ingredient.

narvin

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 12:43:51 am »
Ha.  Tell the natives in the Caribbean who grow that stuff that their fruit is now the domain of the most WASPy millionaire out there.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 09:22:16 am »
Ha.  Tell the natives in the Caribbean who grow that stuff that their fruit is now the domain of the most WASPy millionaire out there.

Natives? In the Caribbean? I thought Columbus "took care" of them. . .
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 09:41:02 am »
I found it boring. Refreshing, but boring.

http://mashbang.wordpress.com/2013/05/30/rolle-bolle/
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!