Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Priming Sugar or DME  (Read 7165 times)

Offline donsmitty

• Assistant Brewer
  • Colchester, CT
Priming Sugar or DME
« on: May 30, 2013, 07:57:28 pm »
I just bought a kit and it came with 1 1/4 cups Muntons extra light dry malt extract to be used as a carbonation primer before bottling.  I only have 5 batches under my belt and in all of them I have used priming sugar.  Is it common to use DME?

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Priming Sugar or DME
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 08:19:04 pm »
No, it is uncommon, and I would not recommend it.  Just substitute 2/3 cup cane sugar and you'll be glad you did.  Using DME is old practice and highly unpredictable, and no longer recommended by most people.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 08:23:37 pm »
Save the DME for yeast starters
Frank

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 08:26:06 pm »
Save the DME for yeast starters

+1 save for starters.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 08:46:38 pm »
It's fine to use. I used it for years. Not that regular sugar is bad, either is fine. I expect you're not making many starters yet.

Offline donsmitty

• Assistant Brewer
  • Colchester, CT
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 04:45:24 am »
It's fine to use. I used it for years. Not that regular sugar is bad, either is fine. I expect you're not making many starters yet.

Actually I have made starters for my last 2 batches and plan to do so for most if not all in the future. 

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 05:04:59 am »
I'd go with the sugar - think of it as dessert for the yeast.  Would you prefer second helpings or dessert?  Either will work, but the simple sugars are easier to metabolize for your yeast after a full meal.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 04:06:00 pm »
Personally I would use priming sugar and use the DME for starers as well but if you want to try something new there is no reason you can't use the DME.

Typically using DME will provide the beer a denser head and a slightly creamier mouth feel, at least that's my experience drinking a fellow brewers beers that only uses DME to prime. The major downside is time. DME primed beers can take a LOT longer to carbonate because of the more complex sugars the yeast need to break down so if you are not a patient person I would not advise it ;D
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 10:08:55 am »
I primed a few batches with DME. I never felt like there was any benefit in flavor or mouthfeel using DME but I definitely agree it takes a lot longer to carbonate.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline troy@uk

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 06:25:35 am »
I have been brewing for +/- 10 yrs and have bottle conditioned every batch. There are many forms of fermentable sugars that can and have been used for priming. There also is a very slight flavor contribution from each to consider. I use table sugar in a Pale ale or IPA where the main flavor is hops, but I use DME in a Munich Helles or Kolsch where the flavors are more delicate and consider molasses or maple syrup in a Porter or Belgian Double. Another important factor to consider when priming a batch is "How much do I use?", I use this calculator to help guide my additions: http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/  Remember that volume and beer temp at the time of bottling are very influential factors and that measuring the priming sugar/DME by weight is much more accurate than measuring by volume. Cheers and Good Luck!
Now there are fields where Troy once stood....  OVID