Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Good Ale for BMC Drinkers  (Read 4163 times)

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
Good Ale for BMC Drinkers
« on: May 31, 2013, 01:03:30 pm »
Thoughts on malts & hops for my BMC friends to ease them into craft beer?  I'd like to do an ale, since I only do ales and don't have a lager fridge.  Not sure what hops would be well suited for this style.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks!
Trey W.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Good Ale for BMC Drinkers
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 01:24:21 pm »
Look into a cream ale.  Here are a few....

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/6ACreamAle

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 01:26:49 pm »
Its tough to brew a similar beer as they're used to drinking. Cream, Blond, American Wheat, Kolsch, etc. are, IMO, the toughest styles of ale to brew well enough to pass of as commercial.

You may try coming at them from a different angle. A good amount of my wife's BMC-drinking family really enjoyed a light, chocolaty brown ale that I made for our wedding. Others have really enjoyed a fruit beer made with a LOT of raspberries.

The flavors can't be too intense, and bitterness should be at an absolute minimum.

Witbier is a nice place to start. Its not too difficult to make a good version if you brew all-grain and can get unmalted wheat.

My wife's first craft love was with a local brewery's mild, so maybe that or ordinary bitter?

You may ask if they like Blue Moon, Amber Bock, Guinness, etc. to get a good feel for their palate. Also, if they drink wine, you can find a beer style that parallels the flavor profile of their favorite varietal. Maybe even a light-colored, simple ale with grape must and honey? If they like the bubbly (or light spirits), you might try a Duvel clone.

Familiar flavors can attract the uninitiated. Chocolate, coffee, cherry pie, mole, creme brulee, lemonade. These flavors allow the newcomer to think of familiar foods rather than their expected 'flavors' in beer.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 01:45:20 pm »
A Red can work too.  Not too many hops, not too much color and a smooth finish.  I've made a couple that BMC drinkers liked, after twisting their arms to try something they could see in their glass.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline edvinjonsson

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 01:50:20 pm »
I've brewed american wheat beers with tropical hops, like citra, summit or something from NZ, and my BMC friends, or PMC in this case (Pacifico, Modelo, Corona), really liked them. Also wit biers and Hefe Weizens are pretty popular. Some of them actually liked my brown porters and APA's but most of them said they were too bitter.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 01:54:31 pm »
I've brewed american wheat beers with tropical hops, like citra, summit or something from NZ, and my BMC friends, or PMC in this case (Pacifico, Modelo, Corona), really liked them. Also wit biers and Hefe Weizens are pretty popular. Some of them actually liked my brown porters and APA's but most of them said they were too bitter.

Here in the Mid-West (USA) the BMC drinkers often consider Pacifico, Modelo and Corona to be too exotic.  Your friends are a few steps closer to real beer than your average Bud-light drinker.   ::)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 01:57:19 pm »
If you want to be sure they'll like it, use lots of rice syrup and keep hops below the threshold of knowing they're there  ;).
Jon H.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 02:07:03 pm »
German ales are probably good choices too. The noble hop varieties are nice and easy going.  It depends how hung up they are on color. Some people are convinced that any darker beer will get them wrecked. If it must be a light colored beer, I'd go with cream ale or wheat beer.

- Sent by my R2 unit

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 02:14:36 pm »
My girlfriend hated trying my beers because she thinks that the hoppy APAs and IPAs taste like dish soap. She was always reluctant in trying new beers and stuck with wine. All until she tried Sierra Nevada Tumbler. That beer opened more doors. She now lovers porters, stouts, and reds. The hoppy beers still are out the window. She doesn't touch wine and now considers herself a beer snob lol. She was intimidated by the color of stouts but realized they are her favorite. So maybe go that route.

In saying that, I think people have to want to like craft beers before they start to begin enjoying them.
Frank

Offline Upstate Dan

• Cellarman
  • Albany, NY
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 02:27:45 pm »
Look into a cream ale.  Here are a few....

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/6ACreamAle

+1. A quality homebrewed cream ale will make your friends who aren't as familiar with craft beer think that you're a wizard. It's also a great beer for experimenting with SMaSH recipes.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 04:01:51 pm »
German ales are probably good choices too. The noble hop varieties are nice and easy going.  It depends how hung up they are on color. Some people are convinced that any darker beer will get them wrecked. If it must be a light colored beer, I'd go with cream ale or wheat beer.

- Sent by my R2 unit

Funny how many people are still hung up on the dark color = high abv thing.  Wheats and cream ales have always worked for me with that crowd. Except for the smaller subset of hardcore BMC guys who think that the cloudiness in the wheat beer meant that I probably screwed something up. Luckily I have more beer savvy friends now as the years have gone by.
Jon H.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 04:14:34 pm »
i find the red seal ale to be very good and not overly hoppy. one of my favorites. the lakefront brewery has one that is pretty similar think it is called top gear
Don AHA member

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 04:21:52 pm »
i find the red seal ale to be very good and not overly hoppy. one of my favorites. the lakefront brewery has one that is pretty similar think it is called top gear
+1.  Love Red Seal.  Good hop forward beer without being in-your-face for hop newbs.
Jon H.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 07:19:58 pm »
A Cristal-weisse would work for sure. My gateway was a Paulaner Hefe-weizen though. I think if you could get a strict bmc drinker to try one you'd be off to the races!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline edvinjonsson

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 08:14:21 pm »

Here in the Mid-West (USA) the BMC drinkers often consider Pacifico, Modelo and Corona to be too exotic.  Your friends are a few steps closer to real beer than your average Bud-light drinker.   ::)

Paul

Hahaha I don't think there's much difference, maybe only in Corona, I think its terrible, I would rather have any BMC than Corona.