Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Latest Beer Marketing Gimmicks  (Read 2636 times)

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Latest Beer Marketing Gimmicks
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 03:27:40 pm »
Now that beer is "Cool" it just doesn't seem so special anymore. I'm apt to resist such blatant appeals to buy their product more than ever... :-\
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 03:53:33 pm »
In response to beers being too bitter, hoppy, heavy, or whatever...., magic hat releases "Just Beer" series beginning with "just IPA"?  What does it taste like if not hoppy.....keystone? (remember "bitter beer face"?)

Idiots.

You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 03:56:48 pm »
Now that beer is "Cool" it just doesn't seem so special anymore. I'm apt to resist such blatant appeals to buy their product more than ever... :-\
+1.  I like that the guy from Magic Hat tries to be the voice of reason.  His beer only sucks. No gimmick there.
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 04:20:39 pm »
In response to beers being too bitter, hoppy, heavy, or whatever...., magic hat releases "Just Beer" series beginning with "just IPA"?  What does it taste like if not hoppy.....keystone? (remember "bitter beer face"?)

Idiots.

to be fair, it's not magic hat, it is the founder of magic hat. I will reserve judgment until I am able to try the beer.

That being said I do not hold out a large amount of hope. I didn't particularly like magic hat when he was running it either.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 06:16:42 pm »
I have to disagree that the "Hops for Heroes" is a gimmick. I wonder if the author of the article bothered to look at the breweries involved. Cigar City, 21 Amendment, Stone, etc. are far from gimmicky. This is simply a way to raise money for those who served. BTW, the CCB version is amazing, and yes, you can taste the maple wood.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 06:54:55 pm »
My gimmick would be a guarantee that my beer contained no rat feces. Power of suggest that maybe there's a reason others don't offer the guarantee

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 07:07:17 pm »
I have to disagree that the "Hops for Heroes" is a gimmick. I wonder if the author of the article bothered to look at the breweries involved. Cigar City, 21 Amendment, Stone, etc. are far from gimmicky. This is simply a way to raise money for those who served. BTW, the CCB version is amazing, and yes, you can taste the maple wood.
They auction off the bats for charity, too.  Gimmicky, perhaps, but for a good cause.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995