Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Well, most brewery owners are cool...  (Read 3079 times)

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
Well, most brewery owners are cool...
« on: June 02, 2013, 07:42:18 am »
I worked for this sonofagun for a year back in '06. Always knew there was something shady going on. He even asked Kid Rock(who had MBC brewing his Bad Ass Lager) for cash, who told him "I'm not a f'ng bank."

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20130513/NEWS01/305140002/Parents-former-MBC-owner-Bobby-Mason-ruined-by-son-s-bankruptcy
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Well, most brewery owners are cool...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 08:09:03 am »
Sad story

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 08:23:52 am »
Just goes to show that when it comes to money there is no loyalty- certainly not from his son and bank.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 05:40:23 am »
Just goes to show that when it comes to money there is no loyalty- certainly not from his son and bank.

Parents can be blind to reality or just choose to ignore it.  I have seen this before.  Very sad.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 06:36:07 am »
The continuing saga of MBC.

Edit.
What is that old saying about making a small fortune brewing?

Some of the equipment that was auctioned off has found its way to a small brewery, and a small meadery, that are starting up in SE MI. The MBC loss was a gain for others.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 06:49:54 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 07:14:18 pm »
There's also a lesson to be learnt here regarding co-signing loans, proving collateral as security, and paying more attention to the finances of companies you invest in.  I feel bad for the parents' situation, but they kept throwing money blindly at their investment without any due diligence as far as I can see.

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 09:33:19 pm »
I used to go to MBC all the time when I lived back there and I used to really enjoy their beer.  My wife even bought my starter kit from Things beer.

The best thing to come of it all is that the Celis brand is going back to Austin and hopefully will be a good wit again.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 05:05:55 am »

The best thing to come of it all is that the Celis brand is going back to Austin and hopefully will be a good wit again.

Really?! I knew it was still contract brewed on occasion but to see celis in this neck of the woods again would be a real pleasure.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 06:47:28 am »

Really?! I knew it was still contract brewed on occasion but to see celis in this neck of the woods again would be a real pleasure.
Christine Celis has the rights to the name. I have read that she may have it brewed in an existing facility, as she just got the name, not the old Celis equipment. Anyone know more?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!