Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Found an old carboy  (Read 4119 times)

Offline fat bob

• 1st Kit
Found an old carboy
« on: June 02, 2013, 02:16:14 pm »
So I was cleaning out the garage and found an old glass carboy that must have gotten used and not cleaned out at some point. Not sure how that happened but it did.  :-[ It had what looked like mold inside it. It is currently sitting in PBW.

The question I have is would you still use this carboy to ferment beer? I was thinking one or two PBW washes and iodine might get it back up to working order.

I would feel better knowing how others feel about trying to recoup this vs just trashing it.

Thanks for your time!  :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 02:20:45 pm by fat bob »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Found an old carboy
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 02:32:26 pm »
So I was cleaning out the garage and found an old glass carboy that must have gotten used and not cleaned out at some point. Not sure how that happened but it did.  :-[ It had what looked like mold inside it. It is currently sitting in PBW.

The question I have is would you still use this carboy to ferment beer? I was thinking one or two PBW washes and iodine might get it back up to working order.

I would feel better knowing how others feel about trying to recoup this vs just trashing it.

Thanks for your time!  :)
Since glass isn't porous, as long as you can get it soaked and scrubbed clean, then sanitized, I would use it again.  Sounds like a job, but as long as you don't see any crusted on mold/stains at the end of the process, I would use it.  It happened to me once too when I was using carboys, and I cleaned mine spotless and had no problems.
Jon H.

Offline fat bob

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 02:38:04 pm »
Thank you HoosierBrew, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to ruin a batch of beer or make people sick!

And yes it will be a job! lol

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 02:50:50 pm »
Sure.  You wouldn't make anyone sick, but you could certainly make a batch of beer that smelled and tasted different than you had in mind, for sure.  Get it spotless and you'll be fine !
Jon H.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 03:09:56 pm »
It will be fine. This is one area where I've used a strong bleach solution and then wash it out after. The glass won't hold any off flavours if you get it clean.

Offline fat bob

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 03:16:28 pm »
Thank you GMAC, I will consider a strong bleach solution to make sure I get it good and clean.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 03:24:28 pm »
+1 to all that has been said so far.

It's glass.  If you can get it clean it is as good as new.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline knafrancis

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 08:07:49 pm »
I've had friends give me glass carboys that were used 30+ years ago to hold darkroom chemicals.  One of them had an unidentified metal object rusted to the bottom.

+1 on strong bleach solutions, scrubbing with a carboy brush, and some patience.  I use both of the carboys he has given me on a regular basis, and have never had problems. 

And the third arm I grew comes in really useful on a brewday....

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 08:14:31 pm »
I agree. If you get it to look and smell clean it will be fine.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 04:09:40 pm »
I've had friends give me glass carboys that were used 30+ years ago to hold darkroom chemicals.  One of them had an unidentified metal object rusted to the bottom.

+1 on strong bleach solutions, scrubbing with a carboy brush, and some patience.  I use both of the carboys he has given me on a regular basis, and have never had problems. 

And the third arm I grew comes in really useful on a brewday....

My overly Catholic friends (full disclosure - cradle Catholic, 3 kids in Catholic school as I type and one at ISU) turn white and start to fall down when I point out that if God really wanted make a design that works we would have at least 4 arms.  I don't know how many times I've been upside down in a machine that would really like to kill me and thought "WOW! What I'd give for one more hand".   ;D

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline knafrancis

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 08:25:31 pm »
Slowbrew, I hear ya.  Although my brain can't think faster than the two I've got...