Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Kegerator Build  (Read 9752 times)

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
New Kegerator Build
« on: February 07, 2010, 09:05:17 am »

« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 09:58:59 am by Robert »
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline darkerpower

• Cellarman
Re: New Kegerator Build
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 01:28:39 pm »
nice work I can't wait to do this myself.
"yesterday I was so desperate for a beer that I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers"- Homer Simpson.

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 02:40:20 pm »
Very nice!!!  Congrats on a job well done!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 04:58:00 pm »
Looks great!

Cedar?
Just brew it...

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 10:28:56 pm »
Yeah, cedar. It just looked so good with a clear stain and poly. Last item to install will be two PC fans to keep air circulating inside to cut down on moisture.
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline mrdrysdale64

• Cellarman
    • Bay Area Mashtronauts
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 12:01:24 pm »
Yeah, cedar. It just looked so good with a clear stain and poly. Last item to install will be two PC fans to keep air circulating inside to cut down on moisture.

I would like to know how the fans work out for you. I see you use the Damprid. I go through that stuff like crazy. If the fans help; I just may give it a try. I thought about getting a small dehumidifier and rigging the tank to a hose and get the moisture to drip out of the freezer.
Mike "Mr. Drysdale" White
Bay Area Mashtronauts

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 12:22:17 pm »
Is that on tile?  Just wondering cause I don't see a drip tray and I know that my chest freezer has coils in the front.....

Looks awesome!!!

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 07:48:27 am »
It's on sealed, stained concrete. I plan on going the copper wire hung from each tap with a pint glass coiled into the bottom of the wire, about a foot below the faucet. I can't remember where I saw it first to give credit, but it was a cool looking setup.

I'll update on the fans once inside. I finally found a 12v DC adapter lying around the house to convert to their power supplies. Just a matter of figuring out placement and drilling the holes. Plus, I picked up two 120mm fans from a computer supply wholesaler for 3.99 each, plus they have cool blue LED's that spin with the blades for ambience.....

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 09:56:35 am »
It's on sealed, stained concrete. I plan on going the copper wire hung from each tap with a pint glass coiled into the bottom of the wire, about a foot below the faucet. I can't remember where I saw it first to give credit, but it was a cool looking setup.
Right on!  That sounds like a really cool looking idea!

Offline slimsparty

• Assistant Brewer
  • 1882 Brewery
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 06:12:10 pm »
Robert, That is a great buildout!  I wouldn't mind seeing your "recipe" for that build.

Radioshack has some uber heavyduty 120volt 5 1/4" fans.  I have had one running for years to cool my computer since swambo likes form over function and had me put all the gobbligook in the pedistal of our desk.

They are like $22 but quiet and sturdy.

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 09:01:01 pm »
Slim,

Check out the TB thread. It has my facebook addy and there are a few more pics there.

Offline clearh2o

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 06:45:08 pm »
I have a deep freeze but i never thought to use it since it is in fact a freezer.  So how is it possible for these to be utilized?  Enlighten the newbie please.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 06:57:07 pm »
Very nice build. I want to do something similiar to yours with my chest freezer eventually. I built a collar so far.

Where do you keep the CO2 cylinder. I'm assuming it's kept outside of the chest.
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 12:45:21 am »
I have a deep freeze but i never thought to use it since it is in fact a freezer.  So how is it possible for these to be utilized?  Enlighten the newbie please.

It's all about that little grey box on the back of the freezer. What's that Robert? A Johnson controller? Anyway it's an inexpensive add-on thermostat that one plugs a freezer or fridge into and then control precisely what temp it stays at. Lager or ale temps.

Nice work Robert.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 09:47:11 am »
Very nice build. I want to do something similiar to yours with my chest freezer eventually. I built a collar so far.

Where do you keep the CO2 cylinder. I'm assuming it's kept outside of the chest.

Yep, Its between the freezer and the wall, kinda hidden. I could only fit 5 kegs if kept inside.