Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keg line cleaner  (Read 2815 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Keg line cleaner
« on: June 02, 2013, 09:26:46 pm »
I built the line cleaner from Pimp My System and it's great! I don't have any spare kegs, so I really could only clean my lines when a keg kicked. This is both cheap and easy to use.
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/community/pimp-my-system/show?title=pimp-my-system-beer-line-cleaner

My only change would be to see if the adapter will fit on a larger sprayer. I have four taps so I have to refill often. Then again, small is easy to store.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Three

• Assistant Brewer
  • Avon, IN
Re: Keg line cleaner
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 09:51:52 pm »
Thanks for revisiting this. 

It is now in my brew gear needed queue.
Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passin by........

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 08:53:16 am »
It has to be specifically a firestone ball lock liquid post, correct? I tried this a while back and it didn't work right, the poppet didn't close, like the post didn't screw on far enough. So I'm thinking I didn't have the right disconnect as I used a post off one of my used kegs, Super Challengers, I think.
I'd like to give this another go. Don't have a Home Depot in my area, but there's an equivalent pump at Ace I can pick up.
Jesse

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 09:12:59 am »
My poppet actually doesn't stay closed either - unless it's pressurized. So I fill with cleaner, connect the disconnect, pump to pressurize and go.  Without the disconnect it leaks until the pressure builds up.  I'm going to put some stainless washers inside the post to see if I can get the poppet to stay closed by applying more pressure to the poppet spring.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 09:26:44 am »
What mine was doing was leaking even when the disconnect was hooked up. Made a mess and wouldn't push water through the line. So, I said screw it and took the stuff back.
Jesse

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 09:48:16 am »
Oh. Mine doesn't do that. Yeah, sounds like the post threads were wrong.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 06:49:39 am »
I also have one of these - I wonder sometimes how I got along without it. Cleaning lines is SO EASY now!
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 07:06:56 am »
I also have one of these - I wonder sometimes how I got along without it. Cleaning lines is SO EASY now!
I know! I've been looking at that Pimp My System post for ~9 months wanting to build it, never got around to it. It is so simple to clean lines now.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 07:11:29 am »
I know! I've been looking at that Pimp My System post for ~9 months wanting to build it, never got around to it. It is so simple to clean lines now.

I had been looking at it on HBT and never made it to Home Depot. I had an extra post, so this literally cost me $7.56.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline jcwhoffman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 07:33:43 am »
I'm glad I found this post.. this is my next project, as I've been cleaning via a keg with solution, but don't want to tie up a keg + co2 usage...