Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: PBW  (Read 10550 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: PBW
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2013, 06:50:55 am »
My LHBS has a Better Bottle on display with a crack at the bottom where the wall meets the bottom.  The crack apparently was due to chemical stress or some other environmental stress fracture.  It has a sign on it reminding you not to store chemicals (PBW, StarSan, etc.) for extended amounts of time; just clean and sanitize and get the chemicals out and let it dry.  Always put water in first, then the chemicals, etc.  I know I get lazy and let my carboy sit for days with PBW until I get around to cleaning it.  I guess if I ever replace them with Better Bottles I will have to make sure I am careful about that.

I've let mine sit and soak for days on end with no ill effects.   I am not using PBW, so maybe that's the difference.  I dunno.  I've had nothing but good with my BBs.

I haven't put my BB's through a lot of use, but I have let them sit with PBW a couple of times for 2-3 days with no ill effect. Mixed it with hot (~120ish) tap water, too. This may be because I mix my PBW at a lower concentration (1 tsp per gallon instead of 1 Tbsp/gal) than recommended, so YMMV.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline joe_feist

• Assistant Brewer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2013, 07:43:49 pm »
I guess I have at least two or three of "all the above." I've never had a problem with a plastic bucket, scratches and bacteria. Don't know that it couldn't happen, but I try to clean well and always soak with iodophor on brew day (or bleach or whatever). I did break a glass carboy years ago and despite protests, SWMBO took me in for stitches. She was probably right. I still have and use glass, but very carefully because I own them. Kids are no longer an issue. They scare me enough with teenager antics. I do have a BB, too. It's great.

In short, I go to the buckets first. Light weight, easy to clean and they have a handle. If I use a secondary I go glass. Not often.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2013, 09:35:39 am »
I see little if not no benefit to carboys. I use Cambro clear food grade buckets that are marked like a giant measuring cup in liters and quarts. I can see what's inside and I can reach inside. Infection free using soap and water and a soft rag, and starsan on brew day.
Do you have to drill a hole in the lids, or are there ones for brewing available?
Those are nice square buckets. I have some for yeast management. No need to drill hole in the lid. Just get non sealing lid and you are fine.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline bunderbunder

• Cellarman
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2013, 10:13:40 am »
Back on the subject of cleaners, has anyone ever tried that powdered laundry detergent that Better Bottle recommends using on their website?

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2013, 11:42:49 am »
Back on the subject of cleaners, has anyone ever tried that powdered laundry detergent that Better Bottle recommends using on their website?

I use the liquid 7th Generation detergent.  It is not very good at removing the crusty ring after fermentation.  It is better at removing the oil ring left by hops than PBW.