Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vacuum Sealers? Can I get some recommendations-Need to seal hops  (Read 15186 times)

Offline jcwhoffman

• 1st Kit
I'm beginning to buy hops in quantity and am wondering which Vacuum Sealer is best for the $$$ and will last.. I hate to buy something and find out it won't do the job.....

Thanks,

Jason

narvin

Re: Vacuum Sealers? Can I get some recommendations-Need to seal hops
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 11:26:00 am »
I grabbed this one when it was on sale along with some seal-a-meal plastic rolls.  If you're doing a lot of food, you might want something more full featured, but it works fine for what I want.

http://www.amazon.com/Rival-Vacuum-Sealer/dp/B004JPU6XI/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1370280209&sr=8-8&keywords=vacuum+sealer

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 11:28:41 am »
I grabbed this one when it was on sale along with some seal-a-meal plastic rolls.  If you're doing a lot of food, you might want something more full featured, but it works fine for what I want.

http://www.amazon.com/Rival-Vacuum-Sealer/dp/B004JPU6XI/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1370280209&sr=8-8&keywords=vacuum+sealer

How long have you had that narvin? I was looking at that a month ago but was concerned with durability.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 11:34:32 am »
I'd get the one Costco sells.  If you run into ANY problems - take it back.  With that kind of return policy and the usually great value they have, you can hardly go wrong!  (BTW, I have one of their "Foodsavers" and it works great)
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví

Offline thatgeekguy

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 11:53:50 am »
Go to homebrewfinds.com and check the link for vacuum sealers in the right hand sidebar, target has a basic FoodSaver on sale for about 50% off. I've got a FoodSaver and love it, for hops and more. I get my rolls and bags off eBay, same quality as the brand name and a lot cheaper.
I'm only here for the beer....

narvin

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 11:56:53 am »
I've had it for 2 years now.  You can buy 4 of them for the price of a fancy Foodsaver, so I wasn't too concerned about trying it out.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 01:34:24 pm »
My Seal-a-meal by Rival promptly failed after a couple uses. I've had it's replacement (Foodsaver) for 5 years now.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Titanium Brewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • Westchester, CA
    • The Peoples Republic of the Garage™
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 01:48:48 pm »
+1 on the foodsaver
AHA #210799

My wife said I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn laughing.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 01:56:00 pm »
My Seal-a-meal by Rival promptly failed after a couple uses. I've had it's replacement (Foodsaver) for 5 years now.

I love my Foodsaver...I bought it in 1991 (or thereabouts) and have used it for both food and brewing stuff. It still pulls as good a vacuum as ever.  I've had sero issues with it. The only maintenance I've had to perform is to run an ounce or two of a warm, diluted vinegar solution through it to clean it.  One of the best appliance purchases I've ever made.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 01:56:20 pm »
+1 on the foodsaver

Yep, the middle of the road FoodSaver has worked great for us.  If your mainly doing dry goods and careful when doing wet/messy foods it works really well.  It's made well enough that if you're careful and clean it will last.  S'pose that's true of most things though. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 02:16:23 pm »
Another +1 for the FoodSaver.  And using it for something other than hops and grain, who knew?  ;)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline jcwhoffman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 08:07:57 am »
Thanks for the replies, will check this out...  I don't have a Costco membership, but do have a Sams and BJS Wholesale membership, will check at both of them.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 09:51:42 am »

I love my Foodsaver...I bought it in 1991 (or thereabouts) and have used it for both food and brewing stuff. It still pulls as good a vacuum as ever.  I've had sero issues with it. The only maintenance I've had to perform is to run an ounce or two of a warm, diluted vinegar solution through it to clean it.  One of the best appliance purchases I've ever made.

This is exactly what I was worried about and why I want a FoodSaver. I would rather not buy it twice. As my mom says, only rich people can afford to buy cheap things.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

narvin

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 11:00:24 am »

This is exactly what I was worried about and why I want a FoodSaver. I would rather not buy it twice. As my mom says, only rich people can afford to buy cheap things.

On the other hand, everything is made in China these days and a higher price doesn't necessarily mean quality.  You're going to find bad reviews for almost everything out there if you search for it.  It's cheaper for the manufacturers to offer better warranties and replace lemons than to build something that lasts.

http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-Vacuum-Sealer-SmartSeal-Technology/product-reviews/B001E42R8O/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-Advanced-Design-Vacuum-Sealer/product-reviews/B000F9PNF8/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 11:03:44 am by narvin »