Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vacuum Sealers? Can I get some recommendations-Need to seal hops  (Read 15185 times)

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
Re: Re: Vacuum Sealers? Can I get some recommendations-Need to seal hops
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 11:22:08 am »
My Seal-a-meal by Rival promptly failed after a couple uses. I've had it's replacement (Foodsaver) for 5 years now.

I love my Foodsaver...I bought it in 1991 (or thereabouts) and have used it for both food and brewing stuff. It still pulls as good a vacuum as ever.  I've had sero issues with it. The only maintenance I've had to perform is to run an ounce or two of a warm, diluted vinegar solution through it to clean it.  One of the best appliance purchases I've ever made.

This is exactly what I was worried about and why I want a FoodSaver. I would rather not buy it twice. As my mom says, only rich people can afford to buy cheap things.

On the other hand, everything is made in China these days and a higher price doesn't necessarily mean quality.  You're going to find bad reviews for almost everything out there if you search for it.  It's cheaper for the manufacturers to offer better warranties and replace lemons than to build something that lasts.

http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-Vacuum-Sealer-SmartSeal-Technology/product-reviews/B001E42R8O/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-Advanced-Design-Vacuum-Sealer/product-reviews/B000F9PNF8/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

Stop using evidence to back up your arguments. :))

Sent from the future using Tapatalk

Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline roffenburger

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Vacuum Sealers? Can I get some recommendations-Need to seal hops
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 04:42:39 pm »
I have used my Rival seal-a-meal for about 4 years now for hops and meat going into the freezer.  No problems.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Travis R.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 05:27:51 pm »
...The best thing to deploy with.

Ralph Moran- FoodSaver V2460 Advanced Design Vacuum Food Sealer (Kitchen)
;D

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline jcwhoffman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 07:15:37 pm »
I picked up 2 Foodsavers today, but will return one of them... Got one at BJ's a 3485 (link below) this one is Auto...  Paid $134.99

http://www.bjs.com/foodsaver-g3-countertop-vacuum-sealer-plus-bonus.product.27368?dimId=

and another 3250 and paid $89.99 Manual
http://www.foodsaver.com/product.aspx?pid=8323

Does anyone know the advantage/disadvantage to buying one over the other(except price) I'm leaning toward the 3250 for that reason but don't know right off what will the automatic feature will make better...

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 07:49:55 pm »
I'd buy the 3250 in a heartbeat because of the variable modes and the dry-moist options.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2013, 09:10:49 pm »
Whatever vacuum sealer you go with I highly recommend getting the Foodsaver Mason Jar attachment.  A quart size jar fits a pound of hops(pellets) perfectly.  Resealing is a breeze and much cheaper than buying the food saver bags. If you want to get really fancy you can even blow CO2 over the hops before sealing them up.

Offline jcwhoffman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2013, 05:04:51 am »
Whatever vacuum sealer you go with I highly recommend getting the Foodsaver Mason Jar attachment.  A quart size jar fits a pound of hops(pellets) perfectly.  Resealing is a breeze and much cheaper than buying the food saver bags. If you want to get really fancy you can even blow CO2 over the hops before sealing them up.

Thanks, I will look into this...
I'd buy the 3250 in a heartbeat because of the variable modes and the dry-moist options.
  I will plan on keeping the 3250 ( I was leaning in that direction.....)

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2013, 07:39:06 am »

Where did you find that price? The lowest I can find is $117.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline jcwhoffman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2013, 08:21:13 am »

I found it at Kohls, in the store, for  $99 and I had a $10 coupon  to bring it down to $89

Offline Titanium Brewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • Westchester, CA
    • The Peoples Republic of the Garage™
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2013, 10:04:39 am »
One thing no one has mentioned. These things are great for Sous Vide cooking, if you are into that kind of stuff. Most homebrewers already have all the equipment to do it.
AHA #210799

My wife said I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn laughing.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2013, 10:46:21 am »
I picked up 2 Foodsavers today, but will return one of them... Got one at BJ's a 3485 (link below) this one is Auto...  Paid $134.99

http://www.bjs.com/foodsaver-g3-countertop-vacuum-sealer-plus-bonus.product.27368?dimId=

Does anyone know the advantage/disadvantage to buying one over the other(except price) I'm leaning toward the 3250 for that reason but don't know right off what will the automatic feature will make better...

Don't know for sure.

I have the Foodsaver Gamesaver deluxe and it has been a pleasure to use. I think they really help preserve hop freshness in a big way.
Ron Price

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2013, 11:04:25 am »
One thing no one has mentioned. These things are great for Sous Vide cooking, if you are into that kind of stuff. Most homebrewers already have all the equipment to do it.

I'll have you know that this sent me on an hour long tangent. I think I must build one of these from my spare parts...

At any rate, back to the discussion. FoodSaver's website has a comparison tool if you want to see the exact differences of those above mentioned models.
Amanda Burkemper

Offline jcwhoffman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2013, 11:33:37 am »

I'll have you know that this sent me on an hour long tangent. I think I must build one of these from my spare parts...

At any rate, back to the discussion. FoodSaver's website has a comparison tool if you want to see the exact differences of those above mentioned models.

I compared them on the website, I was looking for real world experience regarding the automatic vs manual features..  I've decided to keep the 3250 model as from what I read most people liked the manual operation and even users of the automatic functioning models, reverted to manual function.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2013, 05:37:25 pm »

+1! I actually do have all the equipment but why reconfigure when the SideKIC is so awesomely badass and affordable to boot? Yes- Sous Vide is one of the other things that the sealer will enable one to do.

My latest pastrami was smoked for a couple hours then immersed SV at 137F for 36 hours. Turned out fricken amazing.

If you want a SideKIC you'll have to be vigilant. They sell out almost immediately and you'll have to wait until they produce another batch for sale on Amazon- which seems to be every week or so...

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2013, 05:43:01 am »

I found it at Kohls, in the store, for  $99 and I had a $10 coupon  to bring it down to $89

For anyone who is shopping right now, Kohl's has the V3250 model on sale for $99 - there is also a 15% off Father's Day coupon now until next Wednesday. Paid $85 for mine!

euge, how much is that sous vide thing when it's in stock? I'm curious.
Amanda Burkemper