General Category > Beer Recipes

German Pils - hop and malt questions

(1/6) > >>

gmac:
I'm going to do a 20 gal batch of German pilsner (or as close as I can get) but I've got a couple questions.  I was thinking of the following:

30 lbs Weyerman Pils
5 lbs Vienna malt
75 g Magnum @ 60
100 g Hallertau @ 10
WLP Mexican Lager yeast (3 vials pitched to a 5 gal generic "lager" for a starter then all of the yeast harvested for this beer.  I'm sure that some would suggest 830 or 833 but I like the Mexican Lager, seems very clean in the few lagers I've made.)
I'm looking for a crisp beer that fits into the upper end of the bitterness range, maybe in the 35 IBU area.
My usual efficiency is about 80% although I've not done 20 gals at once before. 
Water is planned to be 1/2 RO and 1/2 tap.  My tap is fairly hard although I don't have actual #'s in front of me. 

My questions are:  Will the Vienna make it too sweet?  I don't have Munich on hand so I'm going with the Vienna unless you all talk me out of it.  The other option is 100% pils (I have cara-pils and C15 on hand but I assume crystal has no place in a pils).  I am looking for a bit of complexity which is why I would add Munich if I had it on hand.

Are the finishing hops enough?  Should I mix them up with other hops or do more additions.  I have Tettnang and some older Saaz on hand.  Was considering 50/50 Hallertau/Tettnang at 10 and maybe the same amount again at flameout. 

dordway29:
I think the recipe looks fine. Not sure what the AA% on your magnum are but that should get you where you want. The vienna isn't a bad idea, I had a friend use pilsner with a touch of ashburne mild. Turned out great. The mexican lager is also great and is not used often enough. Stick with the hallertau.

hopfenundmalz:
Nothing wrong with 100% pils. Some say to use a couple of maltsters to get some complexity.

35 to 38 IBU is good. If you want crisp and dry, use the water for pils on braukaiser.com, Ca=59 , SO4=89 , Cl=63 from memory, so check it, and no alkalinity so I build from RO.

I do like to use late hoping for my Pilsners. A fair amount at 30, 15, 10. Tettnanger is very  good in these, and so is Saaz.

If you want clean 940 is the way to go.

denny:
I use just under 10% Munich in mine.  I wouldn't recommend going any more than that with Vienna.  Hops look good.  I usually shoot for more like 40-45 IBU, but that's personal preference.

bluesman:

--- Quote from: hopfenundmalz on June 03, 2013, 10:50:23 AM ---Nothing wrong with 100% pils. Some say to use a couple of maltsters to get some complexity.

35 to 38 IBU is good. If you want crisp and dry, use the water for pils on braukaiser.com, Ca=59 , SO4=89 , Cl=63 from memory, so check it, and no alkalinity so I build from RO.

I do like to use late hoping for my Pilsners. A fair amount at 30, 15, 10. Tettnanger is very  good in these, and so is Saaz.

If you want clean 940 is the way to go.

--- End quote ---

+1 to 100% Pils

We used about 36 IBU's on a Pils this past weekend.

Water: Ca=100, Mg=7.5, Na=30, SO4=150, Cl=75, HCO3=75 from my memory.

For 11 gallons:
First wort hop with 8AAU Saaz
16AAU Hallertau Mittelfruh @ 60min
12AAU Hallertau Mittelfruh @ 1min
8AAU Saaz @ flameout

I like to blend Saaz with Hallertau for finishing hops. They also a provide a relatively smooth bitterness.

Yeast: WLP830

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version